1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Bill France Jr.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Double J, Jun 4, 2007.

1. Double J

Double J Active Member

Just announced on the NASCAR race on Fox - apparently he died at about 1 p.m.

2. WTF? How old was he?

3. Double J

Double J Active Member

He was 74.

He suffered from cancer a few years ago but they didn't specify a cause of death on the broadcast.

4. Ah, for some reason, I was thinking he was much younger.

5. Double J

Double J Active Member

Are you thinking of his son, Brian?

And Fox just dedicated "a very big Crank It Up" to the old man. I guess that's supposed to be a tribute. :-\

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Seeing the contrast in play of this across the country will be darn interesting. R.I.P.

7. nascar.com doesn't have a thing about it. And yes, I was thinking of Brian.

8. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

In huge NASCAR areas, is his death played up bigger than the race?

9. http://www.nascar.com/2007/news/headlines/cup/06/04/bfrancejr.dies.obit/index.html

10. Double J

Double J Active Member

The flags have just been lowered at Dover, so word is still just breaking. The broadcast also had a bit of a tribute which I'm thinking must have been in the can.

DW speculated it rained yesterday so NASCAR could be racing when France died. I'm thinking if God had really wanted the two events to coincide, it would have been a lot simpler for everyone if He had just called France's number yesterday.

11. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I also am of the belief God has better things to do than make things fit into DW's frames.

12. markvid

markvid Guest

BOOGITY, BOOGITY, BOOGITY!
    HE'S NOT BREATHING, BOYS!

(HOV lane to hell)

Draft saved Draft deleted