1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Biff Pocoroba

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, May 26, 2020.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I used to do that on Tuesday's and Wednesdays. Tuesday was game night in the winter and spring, so I'd put out the section Tuesday morning, work on some stuff or prep the Wednesday section in the afternoon, and then go cover a game around 6. After the game I still had to write, put in photos, and chase down a half-dozen call-ins and would be up until midnight no matter what I did. So I'd just go ahead and pump out the Wednesday section at the same time. I'd finish up at 2 or even 3 a.m. sometimes, and it would wind up being as much as a 15- or 16-hour day on occasion, but then I'd be able to take Wednesday off and sleep until about 1 p.m.
    We used to a Friday double like that, where we put out a paper in the morning and then the Saturday paper that night as an a.m. edition, so the routine wasn't foreign to me. If anything, I had a little more time to relax on the Tuesday nights since I wasn't really on deadline.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

It was supposed to be "Got-to-Second-Base," but then things escalated.

3. GilGarrido

GilGarrido Active Member

Now that you mention it, I remember something like that too. I wouldn't have seen it in the Constitution, so I expect it was in a program. Remember Hit-a-Single too.

4. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Wasn't there a Princess Win-A-Lotta or something like that?

And I remember Curt Gowdy working a Braves game -- maybe the game when Aaron hit No. 715? -- when he pronounced Noc's name as "Chief Nokahama,” like he was Japanese or something.

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Sounds like the person who arranges the ping-pong balls in the nightly lottery drawings.

6. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Lasorda returned the favor 11 years later when he had the Dodgers play all out to beat the Giants on the last day and the Braves ending up winning the division by one game.

7. GilGarrido

GilGarrido Active Member

And nine years later (1991, anyway), the Giants beat the Dodgers in games 160 and 161 to let the Braves clinch the division in their worst-to-first year.

8. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

The wrong Biff died, sadly.

Draft saved Draft deleted