1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Bert Bank

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Jun 23, 2009.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

This won't mean a lot to those outside the state of Alabama, but Bert Bank died last night at age 94. He was the longtime producer for Alabama football on the radio and was on a first-name basis with every Alabama football coach going back to Wallace Wade (in the 1920s). He also survived the Bataan Death March.

Here's the obit:

Here's a recent profile from Tuscaloosa Magazine:

Pretty amazing life ...
  2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Just saw that on a friend's Facebook status. We lost one great American this week.
  3. Pencil Dick

Pencil Dick Member

Had the privilege of being Mr. Bank's partner in a golf match in the late '80s at Indian Hills Country Club (which Bank co-founded and whose membership included a Tide football coach who favored houndstooth).

We were about 6 holes in and he tells me "we're playing these guys for $20 a hole." I had, maybe, $5 in my wallet at the time. I was at the time playing pretty decent golf, but we got clobbered. Lost $100 each.

I told him driving up to the clubhouse from the 18th I didn't have that kind of cash as a lowly south Alabama sports writer. He just laughed, whipped out a couple of hundreds, paid the other 2 guys and said "You really thought I expected YOU to pay? You're my guest." We then retired to the clubhouse and got, to use a Southern expression "blind running drunk."

All on his tab, of course.

A great man. Read Hampton Sides' "Ghost Soldiers" about the Death March and ensuring rescue to learn more about what Mr. Bank and the other American soldiers endured.

Draft saved Draft deleted