1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Bernie Mac

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by OnTheRiver, Aug 9, 2008.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Yeah, anybody in that movie is destined to die.

2. Overrated

Overrated Guest

The Bernie Mac Show that's on TV right now has Bernie Mac as a pallbearer. Bizarre.

3. Sad news. Followed his career forever. He was funny as hell. Loved him as the minister in "Friday."

4. The Granny

The Granny Guest

Indeed sad news. But I never understood how he could claim to be both a White Sox and Cubs fan.

5. Oscar Gamble

Oscar Gamble New Member

He was a White Sox fan. Heard him on Chicago sports radio (WSCR) when he was promoting Ocean's 13. He made it clear that he was a Sox fan, not a Cubs fan. Bernie said he was asked by both Fox & the Cubs to sing the 7th inning stretch and did so because he was a Chicagoan and wished the Cubs well as long as they weren't playing the White Sox. He made it clear that he resented anyone who tried to put him in the same class with posers like John Cusack and Jim Belushi who claim dual Chicago baseball loyalties depending on which one is in first place.

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Pretty sure Cusack is a northsider, and always has been.

7. Colton

Colton Active Member

This sucks, damn... RIP

8. Oscar Gamble

Oscar Gamble New Member

Yes he is but in '05 Cusack asked Jerry Reinsdorf for freebie prime World Series seats claiming he was a White Sox fan too and tried the "I even played a White Sox (George "Buck" Weaver) in a movie (<i>Eight Men Out</i>) card. Word on the street was that Reinsdorf laughed and told him nice try but no dice.

9. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Not much different than Bernie Mac singing TMOTTBG at Wrigley, really. Ain't like he's going to get to see his Chicago team in a World Series any time soon ... 8)

10. Oscar Gamble

Oscar Gamble New Member

I disagree buck, there's a significant difference. Bernie Mac was asked by Fox and the Cubs to sing (probably more by Fox looking to promote one of their sitcoms). Bernie or "his people" didn't initiate the contact. Cusack lied about his loyalties looking for a freebie. :)

Either way, it doesn't matter now. RIP Bernie Mac.

11. Chef

Chef Active Member

Echoes to him being the funniest part in Original Kings of Comedy.......the part about the blowjob has me in stitches every time.

RIP

12. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

What's the matter man? Want me to smile at cha? Want me to shine your shoes? Black man can't deal the cards? They might as well call it whitejack!

What a horrible thing to say. You sir, should know that we at the NGC have always supported the hiring of colored....

(Frank Catton goes after Linus)

Catton: You better talk to him.

One of my favorite exchanges in Oceans 11. Guess heaven needed a faux-Brewer. And does anybody else remember if he sung the stretch during Game 6 of the 2003 NLCS. He changed "root for the Cubbies" to root for the champs... and then all hell ensued.

Draft saved Draft deleted