1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Benny Phillips and Harold Pearson

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by CosmoMorgan, Jan 25, 2012.

1. CosmoMorgan

CosmoMorgan New Member

Longtime sports editor of High Point (NC) Enterprise -

http://hpe.com/view/full_story/17284197/article-NASCAR-journalist--former-Enterprise-sports-editor-Benny-Phillips-dies?instance=homesecondleft

(From Moddy: I edited to get in info about Harold, based on question below. Obit is below)

2. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Re: RIP Benny Phillips

Oh no! So sorry to hear that. Benny was always kind to me.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Great guy. Very much hate to hear this. RIP Benny

4. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

Also heard that former Richmond motorsports writer Harold Pearson passed away today ... Moddy, can your sources shed any light on this?

5. Re: RIP Benny Phillips

Benny was absolutely the best.
    It was honor to work with him for a short time, and I often think about his respect, dignity, hard work and wisdom.
    He was pioneer in his profession -- universally known as one of the best NASCAR writers -- but he was an even better person.
    I wish I had YouTube video of his appearances on ESPN.

6. Moderator1

Damn. Had not heard that about Harold. I will check.

7. Moderator1

Sadly, the news about Harold is true. RIP to another terrific guy:

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/sports/pro-sports/2012/jan/26/tdsport02-former-t-d-sportswriter-harold-pearson-d-ar-1640406/

8. CosmoMorgan

CosmoMorgan New Member

Thank you for adding the news about Harold - or "Old Weird" as we affectionately used to call him around NASCAR. He also covered golf for the Times-Dispatch for many years.

9. Moderator1

No problem, though it wasn't news I was particularly happy to add.

10. kleeda

kleeda Active Member

Ed Hinton (yeah, he's one of my writers) wrote a blog about Phillips, a longtime friend. The photo at the top of the blog is particularly haunting to me, as four of the five men pictured are now gone. Only Randy Laney survives. I met all five, but can only count Hunter as someone I really knew.

Tom Higgins wrote a nice obit, too.

Hinton Link: http://espn.go.com/racing/blog/_/name/hinton_ed/id/7507035/nascar-benny-phillips-death-leaves-void

11. Covered many an event with Harold, especially golf, when I was still learning the trade. Loved his catchphrase when he called in his story to the desk: "Make it sing!" His prose usually did.

RIP, old friend.

Draft saved Draft deleted