1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Ben Ali (owner of Ben's Chili Bowl)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by forever_town, Oct 8, 2009.

1. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

The place is a part of history and still draws INSANE lunch crowds.

He was 82.

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Love that place

3. forever_town

I was just there today. Heard about his death from a Washington Post reporter talking to the guy in front of me in line. The place was crawling with journalists.

It's like the old Yogism: "Nobody goes there 'cause it's too crowded." There've been times when I'd walk down there on lunch break and just walk back away from there because the lines were too long.

But yeah, reading their Web site really gave a great sense of the history of the place. Walking in is like walking into history itself.

4. JackReacher

One of the best things about going to Nats Park is having the chance to eat at Ben's Chili Bowl. Even though it's not the same as the original, it's still pretty damn good.

RIP.

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

It's very damn good. Had my first Ben's half-smoke there last month. Worth all the praise it's been given.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  6. Karl Hungus

Karl Hungus Member

Part of the charm though, if you have time.

The chili-cheese fries along with a half smoke main course are a great legacy to leave behind. Will eat my next one for him...

7. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

There was a great photo from the Papal Mass at Nats Stadium of a priest waiting to give communion in front of a Ben's Chili stand.

8. JackReacher

All the way, I hope.

The chili cheese fries at the place on U Street may be the most disgustingly delicious thing I've ever eaten.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  9. forever_town

As a sign of how good all their stuff was, I went there on my lunch break today to pick up ...

a piece of cake.

Their slices of cake are worth the four-block walk in my book.

Draft saved Draft deleted