1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Beano Cook

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Oct 11, 2012.

1. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Fowler still can't hear him.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Ron Powlus will attend four funerals in his honor.
    RIP, Beano.

3. You left out Penn State.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Most people remember him from his GameDay days but he is credited with being the man behind the curtain for one of the signature games in college football history.

Beano was the ABC executive who convinced Texas & Arkansas to switch their 1969 game from October to the first weekend in December to serve as the nationally-televised concluding game of the 100th anniversary season of college football.

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

My favorite Beano story was about an incident when he was SID at Pittsburgh. Supposedly, a woman called his office one day asking how should could get a copy of the Pitt football roster.

BEANO: "I'd be happy to mail you one if you give me your address. But would you mind telling me why you need it?"

WOMAN: "I plan on sleeping with every member of the team this year."

BEANO: "Well how 'bout I just read it to you over the phone? Do you have something to write with?"

WOMAN: "Yes, that would be fine. Go ahead."

BEANO: "First player ... Cook, Beano ... "

6. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

7. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

This is from an e-mail I received about an hour ago from an old colleague who used to teach sports writing and had Cook speak to his class once.

i had beano at one of my classes. he was a huge success. the students never heard anything like that.

i remember one of the things he told them, on the age difference.

he was saying how there was very little difference between him and his day and the students and their day. and then he added:

"Of course, you get sex easier than we used to. But then you also get AIDs."

wished i could have taped that. just to get the looks on their faces.

8. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

One for each Heisman Beano predicted he'd win?

Powlus was the first guy that popped in my head here, and then I saw a half-dozen of you beat me to it.

RIP Beano.

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Nice piece from Ivan Maisel.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8491813/college-football-beano-cook-was-friend-made-us-laugh

10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I recently cut way back on my podcast downloading/listening, but Maisel's with Cook was one I kept. It hasn't been the same without Beano the last few weeks, and won't be again ...

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

RIP

He also called a Steeler Super Bowl win after seeing Roethlisberger as a rookie in training camp.

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

"You only have to bat a thousand two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go four for five."

Draft saved Draft deleted