1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Bea Arthur

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Rufino, Apr 25, 2009.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

Long before Maude and Golden Grrls, Bea Arthur was a star:

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/arts/la-et-bea-appreciation27-2009apr27,0,1470617.story

RIP

2. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Spnited actually babysat Bea Arthur.

3. Double J

Double J Active Member

Great article.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Great line:

"Let's face it," Arthur once quipped, "nobody ever asked me to play Juliet."

5. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

It was a roast of Jerry Stiller. Sandra Bernhardt had just sung Heart's "Magic Man" to Stiller, which led Ross to say, "I wouldn't fuck Sandra Bernhardt with Bea Arthur's dick."

6. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

At her NSFW best roasting Pam Anderson
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/04/27/bea-arthur-roasts-pamela_n_192042.html

7. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

I've been watching a lot of Golden Girls in the morning since I had my daughter (needless to say, GG comes on quite early in the morning here).

I forgot how funny that show is, mostly due to the half of the ensemble that is now dead.

8. J-School Blue

J-School Blue Member

Golden Girls is an extremely well-written show. I've onlly begun to properly appreciate that through watching the reruns.

RIP, Bea. Highly entertaining lady. As others have said, few can deliver a barb like she did. She'll be missed.

9. Gravy Boat

Gravy Boat Member

GG was so well written. The episode where Dorothy's 22-year-old son is marrying a 44-year-old black woman is on now:

1. Woman's mother: "If you want to marry a young man, fine. You are not marrying this skinny white boy. I can name 10 young single black men right off the top of my head."

Blanche: "Wait just a minute while I get a pencil."

2. [Sophia arrives home from a trip seeing both families in the living room]: "What is this, a revival of raisin in the son?"

3. Blanche: "Dorothy, if they want to get married there's nothing you can do about it. They're adults and they can do whatever they want."

Rose: "That's not necessarily true, Blanche. Adults aren't allowed to ride the little horsey at the A&P."

Draft saved Draft deleted