1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Bea Arthur

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Rufino, Apr 25, 2009.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Golden Girls was a refinement of the formula Susan Harris had originated with Soap: Irreverence set up on a tee. GG was saddled near its end with setting up the awful spinoff that starred the Joe Isuzu guy.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I LOVED the Golden Girls. I'll always stop if an ep is on and I'm flipping channels. Such great, over-the-top characters that somehow worked.

Rose: Well, I'm here if you want to pick my brain.
    Dorothy: Rose, honey. Maybe we should leave it alone and let it heal.

Blanche: What do you think of my new dress? Is it me?
    Sophia: It's too tight, it's too short and shows too much cleavage for a woman your age.
    Dorothy: Yes, Blanche. It's you.

Blanche: I was once told I bore a striking resemblance to Cheryl Ladd... but my bosoms are perkier.
    Dorothy: Not even if you were hanging upside-down from a trapeze!

3. If its not too much trouble - I'd like to bang your mother in law.

Thanks very much

4. Double J

Double J Active Member

"Empty Nest" wasn't actually a bad show. And David Leisure was merely a supporting character there.

5. dooley_womack1

Agree to disagree. Steaming pile.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

The really bad spinoff was "Golden Palace", where Blanche, Rose and Sophia ran a hotel. No Dorothy, therefore not funny.

7. dooley_womack1

The second-worst hotel-based spinoff ever, behind Sanford Arms.

8. I ended up watching some reruns during a marathon the other night and couldn't turn away. I figured I'd watch an episode or two, but was just hooked again. That show had great acting and great writing and it just worked.

And along with the great comedic timing Bea Arthur had, she did one fantastic job in a dramatic episode in which her character had Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and doctors just dimissed her as being tired or needing a psychologist. I remembered the episode from when I was younger and it held up pretty well though I half-expected it to feel like just another one of those "very special episode" type things. Her performance was just so strong in the end when she told the doctor off -- not too sappy, plenty of conviction and a dash of humor.
    It just had to have an effect on people with that condition who had been similarily dismissed. Powerful stuff.

Here's to many, many laughs and some well-grounded characters.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

Conan O'Brien let him run into the wild.

10. Double J

Double J Active Member

But it had Cheech Marin!!

11. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

And I haven't stopped worrying since.

12. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

OK, I give up. What was this supposed to be?

Draft saved Draft deleted