1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Bart Starr

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Michael_ Gee, May 26, 2019.

1. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Full disclosure here ...

2. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I have never been so stressed during an athletic event in my life than during the on the sneak. Also, poor clock management. It was third down and their were about 12 seconds left. The Packers probably could not have run another play if they failed (and I don't think they had another play called). But if they had called a pass off qa quick drop Starr could have thrown it away and they could have still come back on fourth down and gone for it.

Last edited: May 28, 2019
  3. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Starr was the oldest of two son's. His younger brother died of tetanus when he was 11 or 12. I have read that is father never really recovered emotionally and that made life additionally difficult for Starr because they had a troubled relationship.

Starr had two sons. His youngest son died at 24 of a drug overdose.

Which shows you that even if someone is rich and famous they can have a tough life.

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  4. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

I listened to an interview with Lynn Dickey a couple of years ago, and he thought Starr was a good coach who was getting better at the job, but Starr's biggest problems were that he didn't have a proper GM (I think Starr was the GM) and that the new team president undermined him at the end. Dickey loved Starr and hated Forrest Gregg, who replaced Starr (and also recently died).

5. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

I mean, having the last name of Starr probably didn't hurt the guy's profile, either.

Draft saved Draft deleted