1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP, Barry Byers

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ScottJBryan, Oct 18, 2013.

1. ScottJBryan

ScottJBryan Member

http://www.heraldonline.com/2013/10/18/5317944/herald-sports-journalist-barry.html

If you've ever worked as a sports writer in South Carolina, you've more than likely met Barry Byers.

For those of us who knew him, we viewed him as the Dean of Sports Writers in the state, and he was always incredibly helpful, especially to the many snot-nosed kids trying to be sports writers (we should have had members jackets) asking him for advice.

Barry lost his battle with cancer today. His new press box includes uninterrupted Internet access, a boxed lunch and all the required materials to do the job. He'll be missed. RIP, my friend.

2. jumpingjonny

jumpingjonny New Member

Sounds like you were a wonderful inspiration, Barry.

3. FreddiePatek

FreddiePatek Active Member

A boxed lunch? The hell with that. A steak-laden buffet, replete with a full array of barbecue and an unending supply of condiments. And I bet the first thing he did when he got past the gates was tear down the "no smoking" sign and light up.

Dammit, Barry, I'm going to miss you.

4. ScottJBryan

ScottJBryan Member

I only suggested the boxed lunch, because Barry was instrumental in providing those boxed lunches at the North-South All-Star game. I made the mistake of eating before the game one year and was scolded profusely.

And if there's a "no smoking" sign, Barry's ignoring it. Like always. :)

5. FreddiePatek

FreddiePatek Active Member

The first year Barry got those boxed lunches approved, I always imagined him eating 4-5 of them before they were set out.

6. SEeditor

SEeditor Member

Barry will be missed. I only got to work with him for a year and half, but he was a mentor and, more importantly, a friend. There wasn't anything Barry wouldn't do for you. When he interviewed me I knew that we were going to get along just fine. I didn't stay in touch with him much over the last decade with the exception of friending him on Facebook. I'm so glad we got to stay in touch the last few years that way.

RIP, Barry.

7. PBOWKER

PBOWKER Member

I am stunned. Really stunned. This is such a loss, not just obviously in Rock Hill, but to prep journalists everywhere. I worked with Barry for four years as his SE at The Herald back in the 90s, and stayed in touch after that from time to time, and I have not since and never will in the future meet someone like Barry. I started every day with a conversation with him in the SE office and often it carried over to lunch. The man knew every single person and every single lunch counter in Rock Hill and probably every other town in South Carolina.

If a coach wouldn't talk to a reporter, Barry would get him on the phone. If you're looking for a back road to the football stadium at Carolina, Barry knew the way. If you needed a dollar, Barry would whip four quarters out of his pocket, even if his billfold was empty. If you needed a shirt, he'd rip it off his back.

If he messed up, you'd be sure to hear, "Well, guess I've got to swing by the lumber yard Monday morning and get me a job!"

My favorite story in a memory that holds a million of them: Barry was in the hospital on a high school Friday night trying to pass a stone. Very painful. I don't know how many times he called me that Friday afternoon, trying to convince me that the stone would be passed by 7 p.m., he'd get out of the hospital and he'd be at Rock Hill District 3 Stadium for the game that night. No, the stone didn't pass by 7 p.m., and that's the only high school night I ever remember Barry missing. But he had a heck of a story to tell about the nurses.

Barry is throwing a great party up in heaven now. There is no question about that. And none of them, I guarantee you, are wearing Clemson T-shirts. Barry just wouldn't allow that.

Rest in peace, my friend.

8. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Sort of shared a couple of press situations with Barry. Echo everything said above.

RIP Barry and thanks for everything.

9. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Nice tribute to Barry at South Pointe HS in Rock Hill: https://twitter.com/DThackham/status/393878814964469760/photo/1

Draft saved Draft deleted