1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP, Bam Bam Bigelow

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by tommyp, Jan 19, 2007.

1. Leo Mazzone

Leo Mazzone Member

Never watched him live, but he was one hell of a video game character.

RIP.

2. CitizenTino

CitizenTino Active Member

My dad had a flight to New Jersey with Bam Bam and Luna Vachon in the early '90s. He got to talk with them for a while and they ended up signing an 8x10 and personalizing it for me. I'm pretty sure I've still got it. Pretty cool.

3. AreaMan

AreaMan Member

Bam Bam sucked in that NES video game. All he could do was a cartwheel.

4. Dude

Dude Well-Known Member

Anyone that actually decides to pursue a pro wrestling career is crazy.

After seeing the countless early deaths of these people, you have to be a fucking idiot to give wrestling a shot.

RIP.

5. RokSki

RokSki New Member

McMahon doesn't give two shits about any of his employees. Think Don King and his boxers. The WWE is built around the McMahons, the wrestlers are just so many replacable parts. And I say that as a fan. When one's used up, you bring in another.

RIP Bam Bam. He really seemed like a good guy away from the ring, a legitimately nice man. But if you're carrying as much weight as he was, you're taking a huge risk.

Every wrestler thinks they're going to be the next Hogan, the next Rock. It's sad. Bam Bam had a long run.

6. I don't remember that

7. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

You figure 250-plus shows a year nowadays... 12 of them are PPV where you're expected to completely sacrifice your body to the sign-toting masses... and if you're any good at all, you have a 15-20 year career. It's no wonder these guys don't live past 50.

Perhaps the Rock knew what he was doing after all.. he made his pile and moved on to a career that will let him live to a ripe old age.

8. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

That's where TNA's appeal is. They don't do live weekly shows, just two tapings a month out of Orlando. They don't do that many house shows, though that's starting to change a bit. And they've for the most part let you work independents for extra money, though they're trying to get their hands on that by forcing new acquisitions to let TNA book them with indy groups like ROH and CZW, keeping a cut of the profits.

Still beats the 200-days-on-the-road cutthroat atmosphere of the WWE locker room.

9. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

TNA tapes twice a month? I never knew that.

10. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Depending on the PPV schedule, they'll tape either two or three episodes on a Monday night. This past Monday, for example, they taped two shows, the second of which is airing Wednesday night. Then they'll tape two more the following Monday to lead up to Against All Odds on Feb. 11 (here's a hint, Dixie Carter: you don't get to call yourself a big-league wrestling promotion if you EVER name one of your PPV shows after a Phil Collins song. Oddly enough, one of TNA's other PPVs is called Genesis. If they rename the July show Something Happened On The Way To Heaven, I quit.)

11. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

So you're saying we can expect an upcoming PPV named TNA Sussudio?

12. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

There must be some Misunderstanding?

Draft saved Draft deleted