1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Avenue Q

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jun 29, 2009.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Not sure how many others will care about this but it saddens me. The 2004 Tony Award winner for best musical is closing. The show is a lot of fun. The Queen and I saw it together, then sent the kids a few months later. I think a touring version is coming to Richmond fairly soon.

Q's Tony was a major upset as everyone figured the award would go to Wicked. For the next year, the advertising slogan was "Avenue Q - It's Wicked Good!"

http://www.broadway.com/Tony-Winning-Musical-Avenue-Q-to-Close-in-September/broadway_news/5030020

2. Mitch E.

Mitch E. Member

My wife every couple years drags me to a Broadway show, and this is one of two shows (including Chicago), that I liked. Has a certain scene that will completely reverse your view of muppets/puppets.

3. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Damn. Saw that with Mrs. Circus on a trip up to NYC a few years ago. Great show.

4. TowelWaver

TowelWaver Well-Known Member

That is a shame...we saw the show in Houston awhile back and loved it. It seems in keeping with the final song though:

"Everything in life is only 'for now'..."

5. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

I'm not sure it's "sad" -- the show had an amazing run. I've never seen it, but the album is great.

6. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

Damn. I thought a major street through Lubbock had been eliminated.

7. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Been to Broadway once, on our honeymoon. My wife and I heard great things about Avenue Q and decided to see it on our first full day in NYC. Absolutely loved the show, and not long after we came home, I bought the CD. It's too bad it's closing, but at least we got to see it before the curtain falls.

8. Moderator1

You can't touch me there! TOUCH ME THERE!
    Great stuff. I feared The Queen would up and die right on the spot but she laughed as hard as anyone else.

9. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I was stunned because I had no clue Broadway could be like that. The last thing I expected was puppet sex from a show that won a Tony, but man, was that show hilarious from start to finish.

10. Moderator1

Exactly what my kids said. They thought it was all like Phantom of the Opera. Between Ave. Q and Spamalot (my daughter 'bout died when they spelled out 'cameltoe'), their view was changed.

Draft saved Draft deleted