1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP author Robert B. Parker

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Jan 19, 2010.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Active Member

Author of, among other things, the Spenser detective novels and the Jesse Stone novels.

http://blogs.wSportsJournalists.com/speakeasy/2010/01/19/crime-writer-robert-b-parker-rip-1932-2010/tab/article/

2. Too bad. He wrote a really entertaining Jackie Robinson novel at some point, about a fictional plot to assassinate him during his first season with the Dodgers. It wasn't exactly what Philip Roth would have done with the same material, but it was really entertaining storytelling and clear that he loved the game. RIP.

3. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

The Robinson book was the last thing of Parker's I had read. Not bad, interesting premise. I used to love the Spenser books but eventually they all seemed to read the same to me. I remember Moddy and someone else (Beej?) doing a brief but very entertaining Parker/Spenser parody on a thread some time back.

4. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I believe I was the other half of that. That was fun.

Sad news. In his day Parker was really, really good.

Recently... Well, I will say his books were still typically entertaining light reads, even if the effort he made in the past wasn't there. You could do a hell of a lot worse for plane or beach reading.

RIP.

5. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Maybe PC, it was very good stuff, the best Spenser that Parker couldn't be bothered writing at that time.

6. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Wow.
    Just read the latest Spenser and thought back to that thread. His earlier stuff was much better but even now it was fun to spend a light day with Spenser.
    The man was productive. RIP.

William Tapply, another of my favorite New England-based authors, died over the summer.

8. Second Thoughts

Second Thoughts Active Member

Real entertaining writer. My wife is a huge Spenser fan.

9. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Loved the Spenser books. Great characters, great dialogue.

I'll hoist a scotch and soda in a tall glass, with a lot of ice, in his honor.

10. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

Erich Segal of "Love Story" also died today, btw.

11. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Crap. DB'd it. Oh, well.
    I was never a huge Spenser fan, but really dug his Jesse Stone books as gulity pleasure reads.

RIP.

12. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Met him at the Anaheim ABA in May of 1988. Seemed like a kindly guy.

RIP

Draft saved Draft deleted