1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Atlanta's "Mayhem in The AM"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Jun 17, 2013.

1. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Why does it work? Because people laugh at this stuff. You have to fire the guys so as to appease those with better taste, but it has to almost go with the territory. Because yes, people do laugh at this stuff.

Would this even be in the top 10 of worst things Howard Stern's ever done? Hell, would it be in the top 10 of tasteless jokes at this place? The only reason it wouldn't is because it's not that original.

2. John

John Well-Known Member

I remember that. It was the Wayne Williams murders. That song was effectively banned in Atlanta. We're those guys on 96 Rock? That was the only station I listened to as a kid.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

One of the great things about getting out of the business is that I don't even have to pretend anything useful happens on sports talk radio. Other than live sports, I don't think I've listened for an hour, combined, in the last four years.

4. Rufino

Rufino Active Member

First off, there's no question this was a fireable offense. Idiotic bit from guys who should've known much better.

Having said that, what Cellini said about the station's motivations for the dismissal is also accurate. Steak Shapiro's contract was up in early September. Word in the biz had been out for a while he wasn't going to be retained to save money. Cellini's deal's up in November, and the same was expected. Right now the station's staying local while they figure out their plan, but no one will be surprised if they go with Mike and Mike to save significant cash.

Of the three fired hosts, Chris Dimino was the least responsible for what happened. He's a sports robot, not a wannabe comedian, and had next to nothing to do with the conception or execution of the bit. He'll resurface soon enough, likely at 92.9 across town. The other two are probably through.

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Agreed. With a few isolated exceptions, sports talk radio has become just garbage, at least anywhere I've traveled recently.

6. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Local radio's business model has crashed harder than that of print newspapers in the last 10 years. I'm surprised you don't hear about more incidents like this. No such thing as bad publicity.

Draft saved Draft deleted