1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Atlanta's "Mayhem in The AM"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Jun 17, 2013.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

http://www.accessatlanta.com/weblogs/radio-tv-talk/2013/jun/17/790-zone-fires-mayhem-am/

This escalated pretty quickly. Here are the broad strokes:

• Former New Orleans Saints player Steve Gleason guest-writes on Peter King's Monday Morning Quarterback, detailing his battle with ALS and his search for a cure.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/news/20130617/steve-gleason-monday-morning-quarterback/

• Atlanta sports radio show "Mayhem in The AM" on 790 The Zone does a bit in which they "interview" Gleason, using a Stephen Hawking-type computerized voice (which Gleason also uses) to make light of his condition.

• Clip is linked on LSU fan message board (and of course, many LSU fans are also Saints fans).

http://www.tigerdroppings.com/rant/p/42595463/WOW--790-The-Zone-in-Atlanta-making-fun-of-Gleason.aspx

• Station is bombarded with complaint calls. Not surprising, because Gleason is basically a folk hero in New Orleans.

• Station issued statement suspending "Mayhem in The AM" hosts Chris Dimino, Steak Shapiro and Nick Cellini, promises full review.

• About six hours later, station fires Dimino, Shapiro and Cellini.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Good. Fratboy snarkfuckers reap what they sow.

There are 'morning zoo' radio teams in every city in the nation this should happen to.

3. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

Rodney Ho needs to learn to fucking spell.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

This is the first positive development in sports talk radio in at least 20 years.

5. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

I listened to the clip. How anyone thought that was a good idea is beyond me.

6. LongTimeListener

Also it looks like Nick Cellini is Vince's brother. At least the parents can be proud of one kid.

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Eh, it was a stupid thing to do on air. Stuff like this happens off air in newsrooms all the time.

On the other hand, we've gotten so PC that no one can say anything anymore without being fined/suspended/fired, etc.

8. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

You're joking, right?

9. LongTimeListener

No shit. If we can't laugh at people with debilitating deadly diseases, who can we laugh at? Nation of pussies.

10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I'm saying it's not exactly original. Stuff like that was going on when I was in high school.... more than 30 years ago.

I mean if some radio dude can call the hotel room of the wife of the late Darryl Kile and ask "Hey, babe, wanna a date for the game tonight?"... and do it ON AIR.... well, no amount of stupidity surprises me.

I don't listen to that show, but I wonder how on earth the topic ever came up. I hadn't seen anything on Steve Gleason in the news in several years. Was he in town doing a book signing or making an appearance on some rival station? How did the topic even come up?

11. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Re-reading the first few lines of the OP and you might get clued in.

12. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

OK, thanks. Glanced over it. With all the online broadcast today, you never know who might hear anything anywhere. I told a friend about this the other day.... anytime you say or write anything --- even Facebook or Twitter --- it may be read by the entire world. So maybe better to avoid that stuff altogether.

Draft saved Draft deleted