1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP, atdhe.net and other streaming sports sites

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Feb 1, 2011.

1. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Stupid, over-reaching by our government for nothing more than P.R. purposes for big media. Nice to see all that Wall Street fraud being addressed.

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I wonder how much more sympathetic we'd be if the government shut down a site that aggregated everything behind newspaper website paywalls and posted it for free.

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I wouldn't. Go through the court system.

4. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

If it was the justice department, I wouldn't have a problem with any of this, but homeland security? I'll sleep better knowing that the borders are safe enough that DHS can turn its attention to more important matters like securing Interweb stream pirating.

5. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

I was pretty disappointed to click through and see that atdhe.net was seized. From my understanding, all the links they put up were to feeds that weren't behind a firewall or pay-per service. Sure, leagues and networks would rather make money for that service themselves, but I'm not sure they've done wrong. Hopefully there's a way around this.

6. NoOneLikesUs

There is and it's already done. The sites are all operating as normal under different names.

7. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

I think atdhe broadcast ESPN Full Court games, which are PPV if you're not in the area. If they were showing any games from the Big 4 leagues, they're circumventing those leagues' season pass programs on cable/internet. Justin.tv (assuming it's still running) hosted PPV showings (hosted as in people streamed PPVs using Justin, not that they were soliciting the business).

This is part of the Immigration and Customs Enforcement's campaign against counterfeiting and piracy called Operation In Our Sites. In an earlier sting, they took over the domains of websites that sold counterfeit products and pirated movies.

8. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Can someone PM me the new link? Much obliged.

9. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I think we all know what it does. The problem is the domains are seized without a court order and Homeland Security is involved.

10. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

The first rule of steams is you don't tell talk about streams.

11. NoOneLikesUs

I think a lot of the streaming made available on atdhe has gone away from sites like justin.tv and ustream. They're using more foreign services now and it seems there's a lot of options out there.

And let's say even if by some miraculous chance the Feds were able to take down all Flash based streams, there's still things like veetle, tvants and sopcast which were already popular before sites like atdhe came on the scene.

12. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

The owner of channelsurfing.net was arrested in Houston. He only made $90,000 from his site. You'd think he'd take more money in than some newspaper websites.

Draft saved Draft deleted