1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Arthur Sulzberger

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Sep 29, 2012.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Dead at 86:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/30/nyregion/arthur-o-sulzberger-publisher-who-transformed-times-dies-at-86.html?pagewanted=all

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

This country owes him a great debt for growing and defending one of the best newspapers in the world.

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

A giant of the industry no doubt, but does he really merit a 7,500-word obit? I daresay presidents don't get obits that long in the Times.

4. YankeeFan

That obit was something, wasn't it?

Can't really begrudge it though. The guy was a giant in the industry, and it's his paper.

5. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

RIP. And thanks for the link, Yankee.

The Pentagon Papers are prominently mentioned, appropriately so, but The New York Times v. Sullivan got the briefest of briefs. The obit does mention, though, the majority of litigation was apparently on his brother-in-law's watch.

Pentagon may be The Times' finest accomplishment for defending the First Amendment, but I would assert Times v. Sullivan is a very close second.

6. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Legally, the impact of Times v. Sullivan can't be underestimated. I would guess you could also say the same journalistically.

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

In the later case though, the Times was dragged in as an unwitting defendant after running an ad. They fought like lions to be sure, but they were forced into it. The Pentagon papers were more a case of going on offense first.

8. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Good point. I suppose winning the Sullivan case helped The Times follow the courage of its convictions insofar as Pentagon.

9. YankeeFan

An obit 14 years in the making:

Wasn't there a recent obit where the obituarist had already passed away?

10. Steak Snabler

Bob Hope's guy was already dead, I remember that.

11. YankeeFan

That might be the one I was thinking of. It as someone on his level of fame.

12. Steak Snabler

Also Elizabeth Taylor's ...

http://blogs.wSportsJournalists.com/speakeasy/2011/03/23/new-york-times-obit-writer-for-elizabeth-taylor-died-6-years-ago/

Draft saved Draft deleted