1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Art Rust

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Jan 14, 2010.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

A true pioneer in sports radio.

The first talk show host I ever listened to.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/14/sports/14rust.html?hpw

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I remember as a young kid listening to Rust's show while in the car with my dad.

RIP

3. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

He had a great memory, it was cool listening to him talk about games he went to with his dad.

R.I.P

4. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

RIP, Mr. Rust.

Where else can one go these days to hear thoughtful, meatball-free sports talk radio?

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

That was Art's show in a nutshell. He was a class act.

He made the 1980's nightly drive time sitting a various traffic clogged NY arteries bearable.

He is now in the big ball orchard in the sky . RIP

6. shockey

shockey Active Member

art was a good guy. i was a guest on his show maybe a half-dozen times, twice in studio. he had some, um, issues -- he was famous for asking guests in the biz if they had some cash to spare (to help with gamblng debts) -- but he didn't have a hurtful bone in his body.

and he had a great memory.

rip, my friend.

good night, art and edna, baby. :( ;) :'(

7. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

My brother called in when he was a freshman in HS. We'd recently moved to NJ. He called Art to talk about the Tigers. Art was classy enough to humor him.

8. cortez

cortez Member

Somebody called into Francesa and brought up Art's passing, inviting a reaction. The Big Guy barely raised an eyebrow

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I was wondering about this.

Anyone with any class would have mentioned it and paid tribute to Rust. It shouldn't have even taken a caller to bring up the subject.

Without Rust's success on WABC, there might not have even been a WFAN.

People forget how revolutionary -- and questionable -- a decision it was to go all sports talk when WFAN launched.

What an egomaniac he is to not even acknowledge the passing of a pioneer like Rust.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

You can't be surprised.

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Was anything but a compulsive Rust listener, but he surely had his place.

And I always give bonus points to guys who don't automatically shift into oaf mode when compelled
    to handle callers.

12. Drip

Drip Active Member

First off, RIP to a great pioneer and great human being. Art Rust ventured into lilly white press boxes and earned his respect from those who wouldn't have given him the time of day had he not had a microphone in his hand. Darryl Strawberry looked up to him as a father figure of sorts. Rust was the oldest African Americans who worked the Mets locker room at that time. I don't recall anyone black or white or Hispanic saying anything bad about him. Rust and the late great Larry Whiteside always had great stories to tell whenever they got together.
    You're right about WFAN. They should've given Rust a call or something. I don't know the particulars but I think the powers that be didn't think 1, he was needed and 2, they already had one African American voice in Dave Sims, the current TV voice of the Seattle Mariners.
    Finally, Fuck Mike Francesa. If he knew as much as he think he does, he'd be a dangerous person. While I respect his opinion on various subjects, I'm not caught up with his big ego. His not giving condolence to the passing of Art Rust Jr. isn't surprising. Francesa has never been known as a class act.

Draft saved Draft deleted