1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Arnold Palmer

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Sep 25, 2016.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Hope that beast has been somewhere around Barstow at least once.

2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

If it's been mentioned, well, shame on me, but Ian O'Connor's "Arnie and Jack" was a great read.

Arnie is the reason I started playing golf in the mid-1960s as a teenager. I remember being crushed when he lost at Oakmont to Johnny Miller. Watched most of the final round from the porch on the Bob-O-Link on Transit Road in Orchard Park, sharing a sandwich and a pop with my father after our round at the par-3.

3. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

That's a great photo, Chef. I wonder how much the SI photo archive would be worth if they sold it to collectors. Probably more than all of Time Inc.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Good line in a tribute from golf writer Craig Dolch: "Palmer may not have been the most accurate driver, but he has 13 streets named after him in the U.S."

And yes, that's tremendous SI cover.

6. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Bay Hill #1 since his passing.
    I still say the story of him and Roger Maris at the 1960 Hickok Belt Ceremony is one of the funniest stories ever told.

7. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Board 101: Include the story. Don't leave people wondering.

When Arnold Palmer ran into Roger Maris at a ceremony to name the 1960 Hickok Belt award winner, signifying the professional athlete of the year, Maris asked Palmer, "What the hell are you doing here?" Upon winning the diamond-encrusted, alligator-skin belt, Palmer brushed past Maris on his way out the banquet door and said, "What the hell are you doing here?"

CD Boogie and SnarkShark like this.
  8. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I always thought Maris said "What the FUCK are you doing here?".......then Palmer responded the same.....

9. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Probably true. This was the best Internet account I found, but most of the others had it as "WTF?"

10. cisforkoke

cisforkoke Well-Known Member

Maybe including the story was a bad idea.

11. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

If anyone saw the tribute from the players in the field at Bay Hill this morning........everyone teeing off on driving range, very similar to all players at 00 US Open after Payne Stewart's death......very very cool.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
Draft saved Draft deleted