1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Arnold Hano

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Splendid Splinter, Oct 26, 2021.

1. Splendid Splinter

Splendid Splinter Well-Known Member

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

This dates me, but that's a byline I instantly recognized. Read bundles of his stories. RIP.

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

May be best known for one of those books I gotta read if I can find it, "A Day in the Bleachers," based on Game 1 of the 1954 World Series and Willie Mays' catch in the eighth inning.

4. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Amazon has the book in stock. Sixteen bucks if you have Prime.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2021
  5. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I remember my Dad buying Sport magazine for me in 1966 with Gale Sayers on the cover (my Dad was a Bears fan). At that time Sport ran a long form feature every month called the Sport Special. Hano was the magazine's star writer and did a lot of those features. So if Hano wrote that article it may have been the first long feature article I ever read.

I Googled the 1966 cover of that issue and it had an article on proposed baseball trades that I remember. None of those trades happened. And in the 55 years since then I have never read one article about proposed trades that was ever consumated. I still think of that 1966 article every time I see a written piece or listen to a talk show host making up hypothetical trades and what a waste of time they are.

maumann and Liut like this.
  6. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

A life truly well-lived. May we all be so lucky. RIP, good sir.

7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Found it last summer, but didn't get to it until January. Have never found a book about one game that was so interesting.'

Draft saved Draft deleted