1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP, Arena Football?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Dec 10, 2008.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

AFL has a cult following at best and little to lose from a marketing standpoint. It will survive a one-year hiatus.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, NHL would be one. Though I don't think there was doubt of its return, being a labor thing. I guess I'm wondering if a somewhat-big sports league (I wouldn't call AFL "major", but with a number of teams in big cities, it's something) ever shut down for a year over general economic malaise but returned at or near full-strength.

Doesn't seem like a lot of teams would just flick the switch to "off" and then return. Gonna be a loooong year.

Edit: Hope you're right, F_B.

3. shotglass

shotglass Guest

If you need a fix, these guys say they aren't going anywhere.

http://www.aifaprofootball.com/

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

How many NBA or NHL teams own arenas used by AFL teams? This has to impact them in terms of lost revenue.

5. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Gag reflex

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

A lot of those teams own the AFL franchises that play in their buildings. I believe Jerry Jones owns the Dallas Desperadoes.

7. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Maybe, but you'd think they'll be able to fill the dates with touring bands. Heck, if they get the right people in the building, they'll make more money at the concession stand than they would for Arena games.

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I suspect the concert business is going to take as much of a hit as anything else.

9. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Yeah, but it is also a way to guard against new football leagues being formed. By controlling the AFL, especially when and where it plays, it keeps it in check from ever competing against the NFL and keeps other leagues from forming.

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

The Arena League runs AF2 so I would assume that league won't operate in 09 either.

11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

The last items I read had af2 playing in 2009, but that was a week ago.

12. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Maybe it's just where I am, but don't most tours transition from arenas to ampitheaters in the summer?

Draft saved Draft deleted