1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP, Arena Football?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Dec 10, 2008.

1. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Same type of person that goes to two or three minor league baseball games a year. I've been to a few Arena games when there was nothing much else going on and I wanted to do something relatively cheap.

I can't say I ever knew who the home team was playing against or that I remember (if I stayed for the end) any of the outcomes. I did see several exciting plays, a couple of close games and some really interesting marketing promotions.

2. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

Minor league sports are in trouble. Baseball won't be hurt much because AAA-AA-A-RL teams are all subsidized by MLB. But independent (non-AHL) minor-league hockey is seeing lots of teams drop, and you'll see a lot of other ancillary teams/leagues go away.

The same thing happened during the Depression, in the late 1950s-early 1960s, and again in the early 1980s.

3. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Apparently this one may need to hold its horses.

http://www.tboblogs.com/index.php/sports/related/C737/

4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Game on.
    <blockquote>

PHILADELPHIA (AP) — The Arena Football League has voted not to suspend play in 2009, a sharp reversal in a tumultuous week in which the indoor league was poised to cancel next season.

The league's board of directors met via a conference call Wednesday evening.

The AFL has not released the 2009 schedule, and it's still possible there could be big changes to the 22-year-old league.

The 16-team indoor league repeatedly has delayed the start of free agency and the release of its 2009 schedule after an offseason of uncertainty.

"The Board will continue to meet regularly to examine any and all long-term structural improvement options for the AFL," the league said in a statement.</blockquote>
    http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/football/sns-ap-fbo-afl-in-limbo,0,1898623.story

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Once the Iowa Barnstormers left, I lost interest.

6. jakewriter82

jakewriter82 Active Member

For Bon Jovi's sake I'm glad they're going to play next season.

7. markvid

markvid Guest

Bet ESPN had something to do with it.

8. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

No. ESPN's been airing Monday night arena games in the spring.

9. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Anyone want to put odds on the number of "Livin on a Prayer" headlines this story would generate in a hypothetical universe where America cared?

10. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I would honestly hope there's only one AFL market that would even consider that, and that they'd then think better of it.

11. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

http://sports.yahoo.com/top/news;_ylt=AhPqan.Q29RxIwgTFmrgym85nYcB?slug=ap-aflinlimbo&prov=ap&type=lgnsp

OK, so I'm legitimately happy. Anyone else?

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Yup.... best unis in pro sports

Draft saved Draft deleted