1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP, Arena Football?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Dec 10, 2008.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

A buddy and I followed Mason during their 06 run to the Final Four (Hi, BYH!!) and the first stop was Dayton. We spent one night in Columbus and caught a Destroyers game. Cheap tickets, great seats, good-enough football. I enjoyed it.

2. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

We had, jeez, probably four teams in this area in the past 15 years. It was always thrilling, if not completely unique, to watch.

I would be very sorry to see it go, especially because a lot of players from the local state U ended up playing in the league.

3. markvid

markvid Guest

ESPNews' ticker saying Arena League 2 will operate in 2009, as it is run as a separate entity.

4. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Good point.

5. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Wow. Never been to a game, but I always used to love watching the AFL when it was part of the old Friday night lineup on TNN (now Spike).

6. So ESPN forcing the Arena League down people's throats didn't work?

Well I'll be damned.

7. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

Arena Football's mistake was thinking it could get a national following. But it's a regional sport, like hockey.

If I live in Portland or Orlando, I'm interested in MLB or the NFL, even if Portland or Orlando don't have teams.

If I live in Orlando, where there is an Arena Football team, I'm interested. If I live in Portland, where the isn't a team, I couldn't care less.

8. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Sorry, Hon. Arena football is closed in 2009. :D

9. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

They didn't force it down my throat. Maybe my remote wasn't vulnerable to their control rays.

I'm a little surprised. If AFL could survive the Zubaz jersey days, you think they'd survive this.

10. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Didn't Arena Football go bye-bye on ESPN once they got Monday Night Football?

11. Drip

Drip Active Member

According to ESPN
    The arenafootball2 league, the official development league of the AFL, said it will continue to operate as usual and will play in 2009 -- its 10th anniversary season. The af2 operates entirely on its own and is not directly affected by the AFL's current situation.

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

It's a shame for them to close. It never was going to be a major sport, but it was a nice niche form of entertainment.

Plus, I really liked their Fans Bill of Rights, with players signing autographs after the game. The AFL had its heart in the right place.

Draft saved Draft deleted