1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Arena Football League

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Nov 27, 2019.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Please post your favorite Hunkie Cooper and other Arizona Rattlers memories here.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Anytime you see "strategic" in a press release, run for cover.

Among other notable alums, besides Warner - Lincoln Kennedy and Mike Vanderjagt (who won an Arena Bowl, a Grey Cup and played in a Pro Bowl in addition to doubling Tony Danza in a Disney flick and being the "idiot kicker" in question).

3. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

And it brought us the father of Antonio Brown, the Albany Firebirds’ Touchdown Eddie Brown, who I knew to be so much more sane than his spawn.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

A New York cop I met once told me Arena League was the ultimate worst crowd assignment any officer could draw, and that he personally would rather handle a dozen WWE crowds than an Arena League game.

5. YourFace

YourFace New Member

Also, six-time AFL champion Jay Gruden.

Donny in his element likes this.
  6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Their operating plan was find some city leader who they can convince the AFL is "big time," create new and unique logo and name, use local businesses who are excited to work with the AFL - never pay the bills. Move to another city and back to step one.

Who knows maybe the league will come back from the dead? (Still my favorite in my collection of hats from extinct football leagues).

upload_2019-11-27_15-22-49.png

Batman and garrow like this.
  7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I was in the Civic Arena in Pittsburgh for Arena Bowl I in 1987. They opened the roof, which took a really long time, before the game. I think the toughest thing about the games in Pittsburgh that year is they couldn't seem to get through one without somebody tearing an ACL because the playing surface was atrocious.

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Now THERE is a sports memory you can dine out on!

9. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

My afl memory was watching the first game on Tv, and the camera doing a crowd shot and focusing on a guy giving double fisted middle fingers for a good 20 seconds before it went back to the action. One of the most exciting things 10-year-old me had seen on tv at the time.

Second memory: all the little caesers ads that seem to run on every break. My little pennsyltucky got a little caesars that fall and it was as if joe Montana had decided to buy a house next door.

10. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

The first clip of this compilation always comes to mind to me when the Arena League is mentioned:

Couldn't believe the home-team players were running over and high-fiving that fan in the front row. I would have loved to see that kick returner turn around and coldcock the guy.

As for the league, wasn't this Arena Football entity the one that rose out of the ashes from the original one that lasted for over 20 years. I just remember thinking although some teams were coming and going the league was doing alright as a whole, then suddenly I found out it was shutting down. Then, not too long after, this league got started with a few less teams.

11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Was always partial to the Iowa Barnstormers helmet myself.

Attached Files:

garrow likes this.
  12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted