1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Anthony Mormile, CBS Sports

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, May 6, 2016.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Told by two former employees that Anthony Mormile died today - he got to CBS as VP well after I left and I never worked for him or met him. No details yet on what happened but I do know he wasn't very old. He graduated from college 10 years after I did, so in the neighborhood of 50.

He wasn't painted too kindly in the article below.

Low Morale at CBS Sports.com as it Eschews Reporting in Favor of Aggregation

A couple of others I know spoke well of him but regardless - sad that he died so young. RIP

2. matt_garth

matt_garth Well-Known Member

I worked with Anthony for the better part of a decade (not in Bristol) and agree with everything Matthew Berry said in Richard Deitsch's latest SI media column.

"The door to his office was always open to anyone, and going in there was like going to your favorite restaurant. At any given time there would be anywhere from two to 10 people inside, from senior vice presidents to interns. Ideas, issues and life were discussed, all the while as laughter emanated from his office. Always laughter. Anthony was one of the funniest people I've ever known.

"When you were in that office, you felt like family and that was not an accident. Anthony was all about family. He and Jess were married for 26 years and technically they have one son, Michael. But I don't know anyone who would agree to that number. There are countless men and women at ESPN who considered him a second father. If you knew Anthony, you weren't just welcomed into his office. You were welcomed into his life and his home with open arms. Not just you, but your entire family. Ant was never happier than when he was around kids and family."

Media Circus: Bob Costas on the Olympics

3. fleishman

fleishman Active Member

I worked with him for a few years when SportsTicker was in Jersey City in my first job out of college and all the tributes being written and tweeted I agree with.

4. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted