1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Anthony Bourdain

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanielSimpsonDay, Jun 8, 2018.

1. JC

JC Well-Known Member

You mean being sad isn't clinical depression? @WriteThinking disagrees.

2. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Was your depression atypical, seasonal affective, postpartum, situational, bipolar, persistent...? And then could you please let us know from which Anthony Bourdain suffered?

Donny in his element likes this.
  3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

What's the difference? We've all been sad.

4. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I’d guess less than 10 percent of Americans have suffered from actual depression.

Personally, my lows have been pretty damn low, low enough that I wouldn’t wish them on my worst enemy. But I never thought about ending it all because ... I didn’t have depression — a clinically diagnosed mental illness.

Hermes likes this.
  5. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I've was diagnosed with clinical depression. I struggle with it more than you know. I have a sister who has it, and is currently on medication for it, but sure, I know nothing. And neither does anyone else, so let's just all agree, no, Bourdain wasn't selfish or impulsive, and how could anyone think we might know better than him that he didn't need to kill himself.

Fuck all of you. You're acting like a bunch of know-it-alls who all pretend you're just sad for poor, sick Anthony Bourdain about this, and not even just a little bit pissed off. It was all his brain talking. Had to be. And we should all be understanding about that, right? OK, then...

6. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

What I'm about to say is the exact same thing that nineteen Golden Gate Bridge jump survivors have also said the millisecond my hands left the rail - it was an instant regret.

Tweener and Slacker like this.
  7. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

We need to support people who are depressed. Unless we can mock them and pile on on a message board.

Slacker likes this.
  8. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

We're allowed to be both. I think it's fucking selfish to kill yourself when you have a child. It makes me angry. I also know really great, loving parents kill themselves due to mental illness.

So my conclusion is: Don't judge.

Tweener likes this.
  9. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

You don't get to go on a thread about a person who committed suicide, call them selfish and then skate free and clear of the ensuing debate. You don't.

10. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I am sickened by is death. But I am glad he survived my mother, who died this year. He was long a favorite of my mother, Even as she slid into dementia she insisted on watching his show.

11. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Really sorry this happened and feel for anyone that's suicidal. But I'd like to try being rich and famous for a week just to see if it depresses me.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Eric Ripert
    26 mins ·
    Anthony was my best friend. He was an exceptional human being, so inspiring and generous. One of the great storytellers of our time who connected with so many around the world on a level rarely seen. He brought us all on some incredible journeys. I pray he is at peace from the bottom of my heart. My love and prayers are also with his family, friends, loved ones and everyone that knew him.

Neutral Corner likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted