1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Andy Musser

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Drip, Jan 23, 2012.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

At one time or another during his career, he broadcast games of every Philadelphia professional team except the Flyers.
    http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/sportsinq/137925412.html

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

"Andy Musser, Sports Central USA, on the CBS Radio Network."

Part of my childhood gone. R.I.P.

3. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I assumed he would be a lot older than 74 for some reason.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

As a kid, I remember being a little sad and a little pissed whenever the fourth inning of Phillies games would roll around. That's when Harry Kalas would go do radio and Musser would come do TV.
    Still, like Dooley said, a part of my childhood gone.
    RIP, Andy.

5. Cape_Fear

Cape_Fear Active Member

He was always overshadowed by HK and Whitey on the Phillies broadcasts, but he always was a pro's pro in the booth. For me, too, it's another piece of my childhood gone.

6. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Grew up listening to Andy, Harry Kalas, Richie Ashburn and Chris Wheeler. Now three of them are gone.

7. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

RIP, Andy Musser.

Sadly, the three best of the four announcers mentioned above are the ones no longer on the air...

8. I was born in 1983, but my dad being a Phillies fan always talked about the 1980 season, and he always talked about Andy's "He buried it, he buried it" call when Schmidt hit the division-clinching homer against the Expos. I've heard it on videos from the season and it was great. Always enjoyed listening to Andy on Sunday afternoons.

Everyone knows Harry's call of Schmidt's 500th, but here's Musser's ... Not too shabby

9. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Sad news. Capable broadcaster and a genuinely nice guy.

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

Excellent story by the Inquirer.
    http://www.philly.com/philly/news/20120124__SECOND_BANANA__TO_KALAS_DIES.html?page=2&c=y

Draft saved Draft deleted