1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Andy Griffith

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Jul 3, 2012.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

The Fun Girls episode just ended on TV Land.

And TCM is going to show A Face in the Crowd on July 18.

2. GuessWho

GuessWho Active Member

FWIW, here's a blurb about the situation I mentioned earlier regarding Griffith and Ron Howard going to see Frances Bavier. Found this on findadeath.com . . .

Andy Griffith once did an interview with Ralph Emery, and the subject of Frances came up. He said that both he and Ron Howard tried visiting her in Siler City. Unannounced. She flipped. Later, a mutual friend of theirs called Andy, and said that Frances wanted to talk to him. Andy called her, and she told him that she was sorry they never got along better. She told him that she had suffered two heart attacks and cancer. Andy said in the interview that it wasn’t that they didn’t get along, it was just that she didn’t always feel up to playing the role. Hmm.

3. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I hope Sheriff Andy and Briscoe Darling are in heaven rubbing one out right now.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

His comedy skit - "What it was was football," I believe was the title - was hysterical.

And, even though I'm not old, I still enjoyed "Matlock," though in reruns. The character simply outsmarted everyone without looking down his nose at people.

RIP, Andy.

5. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

His great novel The Harder They Fall is one of the best boxing books - fiction or non - ever written and it became a terrific movie with Bogart (in his last role).

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Anyone else expect Earnest T. to show up at the funeral and throw rocks?

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Let's put it this way: Griffith wasn't the most affable personality, going.

The AG show was ACTING, because the guy wasn't nearly that easy-going for long stretches in his private life.

That said . . . he could frackin' act. RIP.

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

From a variety of reports Frances Bavier was not the most stable personality in many ways.

9. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I can't find a link anywhere, but I do remember during the late night wars in 1993 that neither Letterman nor Leno were the 11:30 p.m. ratings winner in Charlotte. Reruns of Andy Griffith on the ABC affiliate won the slot.

10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Linked the first post of the thread, but here it is again:

11. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I think I'll have a few Ritz crackers to honor his memory.

They're gooooooood crackers.

12. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

It's a shame people of a certain age might know him better has Matlock than Sherrif Andy.

Draft saved Draft deleted