1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP, Andrew Gold

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smasher_Sloan, Jun 5, 2011.

1. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

This is a little harder, but Thin Lizzy with Jailbreak live at the Sydney Opera House in 1978. Not a bad live version.

2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Yes. Let somebody try to tell me that Bruce covered that better than the original. :)

3. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

For me, it's "Lonely People," by America. Reminds me of a road trip with my ladyfriend at the time, taking her back to Denison after Chrristmas a class she had over Christmas break. Probably heard that song 10-20 times in a 6-hour drive from WNUY.

And yes, "Silk Degrees" is awesome, 35 years after its release. "We're All Alone" and "Lido Shuffle" are my faves.

Others from that era that evoke special memories: "South City Midnight Lady," the FBB's "Hot Burrito No. 1", and Bob Seger's "We've Got Tonight."

James Taylor also has a nice song about a late dog but its name escapes me.

4. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

One of my favorite lyrics from the 70's Bob Seger, "wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then."

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

"more than feeling" - Boston
    "Show me the way" - Frampton
    "Ventura Highway" - America

Don't know if they are my "favorites" but when I listen to them - I'm outside, the sun is out and times are good.

6. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

"Beth" - Kiss

Once played that song 14 times in a row.

7. Double J

Double J Active Member

I got in a huge argument with a douchebag 25-year-old announcer at my "greatest hits" radio station when I said I would have played this song every hour this past beautiful Sunday, if I were in charge of the music and if we had it in the library.

8. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Baby Come Back by Player.
    Released right around the start of my senior year in high school, one of the best years of my life.
    Have heard that song 10 million times since; still gets airplay on the kind of stations my wife likes.
    Song never, ever gets old. That's a rare feat.

9. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

I totally forgot about that song. Great, great stuff.

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I must've been ahead of the curve, but AM was dead as a musical medium by 1980. At least where I lived. You could still get WLS on AM at night until the mid-80s and that was a great station.

11. Football_Bat

That song is 40 years old and sounds like it could've been cut yesterday. Amazing.

12. Football_Bat

I apologize for the 70s-jack. I shall now do penance with 108 spins of Avett Bros. songs.

Draft saved Draft deleted