1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP, Andrew Gold

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smasher_Sloan, Jun 5, 2011.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I looked up the year-end Billboard Hot 100 for '77 when Lonely Boy came out. Amazing how many of those songs still hold up. Or maybe it's just me.
    http://www.musicoutfitters.com/topsongs/1977.htm

2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Year of the Cat, baby!!

She comes out of the sun in a silk dress running
    Like a watercolor in the rain
    Don't bother asking for explanations
    She'll just tell you that she came
    In the year of the cat

3. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

I am curious as to everyone's favorite 70's song. You know, the one that takes you back every time you hear it. Mine is pretty easy, Brandy by Looking Glass. Still love that song and every time I hear it think about my childhood.

My mother was a big Helen Reddy and Carole King fan, so those two kind of provide the soundtrack of my childhood. I Feel the Earth Move Under my Feet always takes me back to living in our old house, a little hose my parents paid $12,000 for that burned to the ground a few years after we moved out.

Amazing what music can do.

4. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

A lot of those songs make the case for why punk had to happen.

5. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

There is a bunch of garbago on that list, along with the good ones. Shaun Cassidy, David Soul, 'I Like Dreamin', which I'm highly embarrassed to admit I can remember that song.

6. Captain_Kirk

I've got a brand new pair of roller skates, you've got a brand new key....

7. Captain_Kirk

My top two would be 'Brandy' and 'I Can See Clearly Now' by Johnny Nash. Follwed closely by 3 Dog Night's 'Black and White' (talk about cowbell) and Blood, Sweat and Tears, 'When I Die'.

8. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

The Johnny Nash song is a great song. Fucking disco KILLED 70's schmaltz.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I was surprised how much crap was at the top of '76 and then you have stuff from Foreigner, Heart and Aerosmith down lower that still packs a punch.

10. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

Now I can't get Lido Shuffle out of my head, which is not necessarily a bad thing ... for the time being.

11. shockey

shockey Active Member

oh, man, did that 'silk degrees' hit my turnstile often when a young lady visitor was in my dorm room.... sigh... good times... great lp. the ladies and i loved us some boz scaggs....

12. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

You look at these lists, and the wave of nostalgia is almost overwhelming.

Draft saved Draft deleted