1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP, Andrew Gold

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smasher_Sloan, Jun 5, 2011.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Technically, Gold had two hits, too: "Thank You For Being a Friend" and "Lonely Boy."

2. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Don't hate on the "Edmund Fitzgerald". Lightfoot's greatest feat.

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Dupree was seen outside Titan Sports offices holding a sign that said, "Will Write Songs for Wrestlers for Food"

4. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

I coulda been one of those. Minus the beard (can't grow one), hit (never had anything resembling one) and sensitivity (am a prick).

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

The song he played on was Juice Newton's Love's Been A Little Bit Hard On Me. Not a bad song, really. And the guitar in that song is obviously reminiscent of his playing on Linda Ronstadt's 70s songs.

6. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

I grew up on the shores of Lake Erie...that song meant a lot to me when I was a little kid. But "Sundown" is another story.

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

As far as 70s singer-songwriters go, there was some godawful cheese but also some damn good ones. Jim Croce (RIP) comes to mind.

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

RIP

Lonley Boy is a great song and was playing in the background when Amber Waves was not doing what is best for her child. If it is good enough for Sean Penn's brother and Paul Anderson, it should be good enough for all of us.

9. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

I like both 'Lonely Boy' and 'Shannon'. Maybe because I grew up in that decade, I've got a softer spot for tunes like that, but as cheesy as they may have been, they were way more often than not very listenable, hummable and memorable. Nick Gilder, Walter Egan, Brewer and Shipley, even Terry Jacks fit that bill.

There are the exceptions. Never liked David Gates and Bread, for example. And 'Wildfire' either. Guess I more partial to odes about dead dogs than dead horses.

10. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

I think the lyrics of "Lonely Boy" are very whiny, however it is a catchy melody and I love the bridge.

11. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

Speaking of 70's cheese, the first time I watched the Yacht Rock shorts I have to admit I laughed my ass off. God damn that's smooooth.

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

One Toke Over the Line and Magnet and Steel rawked

Draft saved Draft deleted