1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP and Why Oh You

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by slappy4428, May 21, 2008.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Bear with me for a second.
    I've been guilty of this on this board on many occasions just as well. . But the Kennedy thread got me wondering... (and it just happens to be the example)
    You know there's no member of the Kennedys reading this board, But everyone is offering the thoughts and prayers because of his brain tumor. And a lot of it seems, well, offhand lbecause of its what you're supposed to say. Not ripping the people who mean it, but it just seems sometimes what you're supposed to say.
    Same goes to threads where someone dies and you post something that ends in "RIP".
    Now, you probably dont know the family specifically and they aren't reading this thread.
    So why do you say something like "good man. RIP" that says nothing about a personal memory of that person or someone in the family.
    Isn't it rather perfunctory? I can understand offering it to someone in the family or a close friend. But the RIP or We'll miss him angle seems so, oh, forced and phony. If something bad happens to someone here, I can understand it. You might not know the person personally, but you share this place as the bond.
    I'm guilty too, but wanted to see why others do it.

2. I thought it was a way to postpad, like 'Only in Detroit.'

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Fixed...

But seriously, postpadding on a thread like RIP or tragedy is different... it's a solemn tone and sometimes, the solemnity comes across as mechanical instead of genuine.
    Posting it, then coming up with a personal ancedote or memory is a little more honest...

4. I never understood it, either. Never done it. I just thought it was a way for people to appear sympathetic and nice ... while post-padding.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

You said what I'm getting at... appear sympathetic. I do it too, but the Kennedy thread got me thinking a different way...
    Of course we hope someone rests in peace (Jelenic not withstanding). But are your thoughts and prayers r-e-a-l-l-y with the Kennedys or any other celebrity's family?
    Someone here is different. It's personal -- or first generation personal.

6. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

I usually don't post on those threads cause I do, for the most part, feel insincere when I do. The only one I've posted on (that I can remember) where I never actually met the person was the Heath Ledger thread. As I shared there, I felt a special connection to him and his death was personally significant.

7. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I understand where you're coming from, but I don't see it as gratuitous or post-padding. I think it's 1) people reacting to the news of the day in the most appropriate way they know how (what are you going to say? "Wow, I bet Kennedy's got a big ol' fuckin' tumor! TTIUWOP!") and 2) expressing what they would say if it was a personal situation for them. This is what you would say to an acquaintance or co-worker who revealed the same news about his or her family. With the nature of news coverage and the cult(ure) of celebrity in our world today, we almost do feel as if we know these people on a personal level, and I think this is an understandable reaction.

8. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

I agree. It's just a natural reaction to want to offer condolences. And the odd dynamic of fame leads us to have that reaction even for people we don't actually know.

9. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

I know for a fact that Caroline reads and loves SportsJournalists.com.

10. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

I don't understand it, either, but then, I've never understood all the flowers left, for example, after Diana's death, leaving teddy bears in front of houses that have burned down with six children inside or trinkets at graves and memorials.

I sort of parallel them -- people want to show sympathy, but don't know how. I have no doubt the people leaving the well-wishes are sincere.

But to me, it makes more sense if you feel the need to do something, write a check and donate to something that might help prevent such deaths in the future.

But I'm a heartless bitch, so what do I know?

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I knew I thought this thread looked familiar.

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/55277/

(Sorry.)

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Maybe it exists, maybe it doesn't

Draft saved Draft deleted