1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Amy Winehouse

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by secretariat, Jul 23, 2011.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Come on, guys. Addiction is a disease. Show some class.

She was a remarkable talent, taken from us far too young.

2. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

No, she would have been "taken from us" if someone had rammed a Buick up her ass while she was crossing the street.

When the coroner's report is issued, it's 99.9 percent certain the determination will be she opted to check out of Planet Earth all by herself.

3. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

From a distance, I can understand the "This is not a tragedy" take. We all saw this coming, and she had a death wish. However, she was still a person that had a family and others close that cared about her. For them, this is a tragedy. And aside from truly bad people, it's always a little tragic when someone dies so young.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

And beyond all of that, it's so unfortunate for the rest of us. Again, she was a remarkable, remarkable talent and I hate that we won't be getting any more music from her ever.

5. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

With all the "I thought she was dead" posts on the other thread, I thought someone would have certainly bumped that one and said it was actually true.

We're slipping here.

6. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

True. Lots of people afflicted by drug addiction die way too young. She just happened to be a very talented artist with a problem that many share.

7. Point of Order

Why so vile?

8. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

Vile? No. Realistic? Yes.

I'm fine with characterizing addiction as a disease and the general need to be understanding and supportive. But I reserve that for the afflicted who actually take serious steps to help themselves (which includes someone very close to me).

Rehab was little more than a snippet of a song title -- rather than an option to be taken seriously -- for Amy Winehouse.

9. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Dick, when I heard "Rumor Has It", I kept thinking it was Winehouse too, until someone told me on Thursday it was Adele. I didn't know who she was.

We suspected and feared that this was going to happen, it was a matter of when and how.

10. Point of Order

I mean talking about if she'd "had a Buick rammed up her ass...." The girl just died tragically and her father hasn't found out yet. Show some class.

11. secretariat

secretariat Active Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/27_Club

12. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

"Unfortunate for the rest of us" is an awfully broad brush, Dick.

Count me among those who are sad for those around her that she pissed her life away despite so many attempts to help her. But "unfortunate" for me? Not a fan, so nope.

Draft saved Draft deleted