1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Amanda Peterson, the hot chick in "Can't Buy Me Love"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Baron Scicluna, Jul 6, 2015.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Another one of my teen crushes.

She was in a TV version of "Ferris Bueller", which didn't last long. But one random memory that has stuck with me all these years I have is seeing a promo for the show , focusing on her, with the Wilson Phillips song, "Release Me" in the background. Whenever I hear that song on the radio, I think of her.

2. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Don Julio and Shotty, I use a BI-PAP, which is up a notch from the C-PAP. I've been on it for two years, and it has been a godsend. Since I was a teenager, I couldn't fall asleep if I drank a bottle of booze to make me pass out.

It got worse when I started college, and yet it never occurred to me that it was apena. It was a routine blood test and physician visit in '13 that my doc sent me to a sleep center. I was trying anything to sleep without gasping for air. It's scary shit for sure, and a nuisance, because all you want to do is let your body rest.

3. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

She went from totally chic to totally geek.

5. poindexter

Okay, I'm intrigued. First off, Sarah Jessica Parker actually looks attractive.

What was the show about?

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

7. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

8. poindexter

Imagine, some poor schmuck working the host desk at an Applebees had to find this out from Peter King.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It was pretty much Parenthood before Parenthood.

10. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jul 9, 2015
  11. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

If I remember it correctly, it ran as something like a three episode miniseries, and the reception was so good that they then made it a full season. The premise was that the matriarch of the family died and it was then about the family adjustments, etc.

I recorded and watched every episode. I also remember finding Sarah Jessica Parker quite attractive during that season. She played an interesting character. The youngest son was engaged to a prim and proper girl and met SJP's character, who was working in what I remember was a retail clothing shop. She played kind of a hippie chick, and it threw everyone for a loop when the son dumped the fiance for her.

All in all, when I think of the show it really makes me think of Parenthood -- two daughters, two sons, one of the daughters divorced with two kids (one of them Amanda Peterson) and moves back home, one of the sons kind of struggling with being an adult (although Dax Shepard's character on Parenthood seemed to figure things out during the course of the show. Maybe Morgan Stevens' character would have figured things out had the show lasted longer than a season. Otherwise, the major difference is the series starting with the mom dying.

EDIT: I see Dan Oregon already has noted it was "Parenthood before Parenthood."

12. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Recognized a young Jayne Atkinson, who played the alcoholic Section Chief in Criminal Minds. Kinda MILFy, or maybe GILFy.

Draft saved Draft deleted