1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP allofmp3.com

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Jul 2, 2007.

1. I'm with PC here. I always pay for the artists whose music I enjoy. I also tend to go to concerts, and that is really where most bands should be getting their money anyway. To me, that makes a lot more sense.

2. shotglass

shotglass Guest

There is no subject on here which leads to such superior moral indignation which isn't going to change anybody's mind.

[​IMG]

3. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Except politics. :)

4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Based on my understanding of Allofmp3's business arrangements, you probably should have said "none went to the record companies."

And in respect to some of y'all's odd sensibilities, I will make one minor amendment to my original premise: If a band or artist is OK with it, then have at it. However, illegal downloading is unquestionably the province of foofs.

And furthermore, support your independent record store. You might --- I dunno --- meet other people who listen to the music that you do.

Of course, some of you would have to go out in the sunshine. And I suspect many of you are so pale you would actually reflect. :D

5. markvid

markvid Guest

I'm a mushroom...
    Keep me in the dark, feed me shit...

:D

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Not true. Typically, producers get advance fees rather than a flat fee up front, with that money recouped from initial sales revenue by the label (just as recording and promotional costs are recouped from artists' royalties). Typically, those costs eat up the revenues from the first 240,000 units sold.

And (assuming sales hit 240K) they all get royalties --- it's in the standard AFTRA deal for members who are royalty artists (meaning "anybody other than background singers") and the standard AFM deal for musicians. Illegal downloading is stealing, nothing more.

And thank God for the Dixie Chicks --- they forced the record companies to start loosening up the purse strings with their suit against Sony.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Read the OJ thread.

8. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

http://www.mp3sugar.com/ seems to be very similar to the late Allofmp3

9. G-Spot

G-Spot Member

I think I had .25 left...which would have been good for about 90 songs if my math is right. =)

10. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

Some people's balance seems to be being automatically transferred to mp3sparks...but now that web site is offline!

Draft saved Draft deleted