1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Allan Arbus

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BNWriter, Apr 23, 2013.

1. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

The actor who played the visiting shrink on TV's "M*A*S*H,"' Allan Arbus, has passed away. RIP

I did not see a posting. http://tv.msn.com/tv/article.aspx?news=804007

I was surprised that he was in his 90's. That put him in his 50s when he first appeared on the show, but he looked younger. Saw an interview with him where he talked about being with a doctor when his daughter was ill. During the conversation, he said, the doctor kept addressing him and using technical terms only an MD might understand. Arbus said he did not understand why the doctor was doing it at first, until it occured to him, the MD must of thought of him as a real doctor and not an actor who was playing a doctor. I thought that was pretty funny, especially the way Arbus explained it.

2. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Fascinating life. Photographer for decades with wife Diane Arbus, then reinvents himself as an actor. His first role was in a trippy (to say the least) Western/Christ take-off called "Greaser's Palace," directed by Robert Downey Sr. The whole movie is here (probably NSFW, or logical thought):

A clip here:

http://www.tcm.com/mediaroom/video/275871/Greaser-s-Palace-Movie-Clip-If-You-Feel-You-Heal.html

3. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

RIP Dr. Freeman. I remember when I started a thread here on favorite "fringe" characters on TV shows, and that was inspired by Arbus' "M*A*S*H" role. Solid actor and, yes, pretty full and interesting life.

Oh, and Abe outlives another, although I believe Mr. Vigoda is actually younger.

4. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

A word of advice.

Take off your pants and slide on the ice.

RIP Sidney.

5. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

RIP Dr. Freedman (with two e's):

6. Here me roar

Here me roar Guest

RIP. And, yeah Freedman was a great character.

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

As in Freedom.. that's probably why you got confused... [Pierce to Col. Flagg.]

9. joe

joe Active Member

Sidney Freedman, as in Sigmund Freud.

Draft saved Draft deleted