1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Alison Gordon

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by mpcincal, Feb 13, 2015.

1. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

First full-time female MLB beat writer when she started covering the Blue Jays in 1979, and later wrote a few baseball-themed novels

Pioneering Toronto Star baseball writer Alison Gordon dead at 72 | Toronto Star

Sorry to say, I wasn't aware of her until I saw her obit today, maybe some others on this board have better insight. But much respect to someone who broke some barriers and probably had to take a lot of crap for it.

2. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

People who weren't there have no idea how difficult it was for women when the clubhouses opened to them in 1979.

gingerbread likes this.
  3. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

4. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

I remember her. I was young when she really made her name, so I don't know the stories, although, as Smasher said, they probably weren't good.

She was well-known in the Toronto-area, because the Blue Jays were pretty popular during her time. She wrote tough, if you know what I mean. Her reporting had an edge to it. She made an impact.

Draft saved Draft deleted