1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Alexis Arguello

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dyno, Jul 1, 2009.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Women normally don't shoot themselves. Pills or blades, but usually pills.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Perhaps he was distraught about Michael Jackson.

3. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Arguello was one of my all-time fave fighters and a staple on weekend network TV fights (back in the day when that was a regular thing).

His fights with guys like Pryor (I remember him hitting the Hawk late in the fight - might have been the 12th or 13th round - with a right hand that would have busted a two-by-four in half), Mancini, Boza and Andy Ganigan were classics.

I remember Billy Costello running his yap saying if he couldn't beat an old guy like Arguello they could take his name out of the record book. In the fourth he dropped his left hand about two inches and Arguello decked him with as pretty a straight right as you're ever gonna see. I hope Costello's name is out of the record book.

I interviewed Roberto Duran once and asked him why he never fought Arguello. All of a sudden he got really animated, those black eyes lit up and he hollered, "Ask Don fucking King why I never fought Arguello!"

RIP to the Explosive Thin Man.

4. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

fixed

5. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

Here's an update to Arguello's death, for those who might be interested.
    Seems highly unlikely it was a suicide.

Oh, and the incident on the boat years ago where Arguello threatened to shoot himself in front of the son, as captured by SI? Never happened, says the son.

http://lisa-olson.fanhouse.com/2009/08/31/son-in-fight-of-alexis-arguellos-life/

6. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Great story.

Draft saved Draft deleted