1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Alex Trebek/Jeopardy Tribute Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mwilliams685, Mar 6, 2019.

1. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I don’t know if he just improved with reps or I got used to him, but Rodgers keeps getting stronger and stronger. Give the guy a couple months at the podium and he’d be incredible. His vocal tone and deftness at telling contestants they were wrong got better and better.

I’m a now believer that he could do the job.

Wenders and OscarMadison like this.
  2. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

"Drink Wisconsinbly" is a quality handle.

3. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

It’s a popular brand, with apparel, gift shops, and a pretty cool pub right across from Fiserv Forum.

Drink Wisconsinbly

4. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

He really does seem to have a knack for it.

OscarMadison likes this.
  5. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

I'm convinced there's nothing the guy can't do. If he spent 6-8 months at a drum kit he'd hammer out Ticks & Leeches or YYZ without difficulty.

OscarMadison likes this.
  6. Tighthead

Tighthead Well-Known Member

10 years ago I would have howled in protest, but Buck has mellowed a little. I’d take him over Dan Patrick, who I find completely insufferable.

Still no strong opinions and I think there are lots of decent choices.

OscarMadison and playthrough like this.
  7. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Joe Buck whips my ass, but he will be fantastic as a Jeopardy host.

As an aside, can we please start a new Jeopardy thread? I'm tired of Alex Trebek dying over and over again.

Wenders and OscarMadison like this.
  8. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

No.
    I see enough of Joe Buck.
    No.

Jim Fucking Nantz trying out too?

sgreenwell and Liut like this.
  9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

They need to throw Joe Buck into the fire and on his first episode have Artie Lange as a contestant.

sgreenwell likes this.
  10. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

Wow, really? How so?

He's the only sports talk radio host I can tolerate. I never saw him on Sports Jeopardy, though, if that's part of why you don't like him.

MileHigh likes this.
  11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I am very intrigued by Buck as guest host and maybe even THE host. He's grown on me over the years; he was definitely smarmy earlier in his career (and of course had the family boost to the booth that most could never dream of) but I think he's been unfairly tagged with that ever since. I've heard him enough in interviews on podcasts and such to think he has good perspective on life and sports now.

As far as hosting, he won't have any problems with the camera and I think he'd get the pacing of the show pretty quickly. The bigger question with him and any of these big-name athlete/entertainer guest hosts is whether they'd make it their sole job or close to it if the offer came; I don't think Buck could do it along with his sportscasting but maybe he could give up sports. He's got two small kids.

wicked and OscarMadison like this.
  12. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Ever since Joe Buck acknowledged he was insufferable, he’s become quite good. I’m not sure he should’ve been given that much time to become self-aware, given anyone who wasn’t Jack Buck’s son would’ve been booted long before, but he’s a good watch now.

OscarMadison likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted