1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Alex Trebek/Jeopardy Tribute Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mwilliams685, Mar 6, 2019.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The host is so critical to that show - reading the answers correctly, staying on top of things. I imagine Jennings has done runthroughs while Trebek was undergoing treatments - but that is not a role you want to stunt cast - for the contestants sake. Wheel of Fortune you can trot out anyone and not screw up the game.

2. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

One thing that was tucked into today's release is that they're going to air a week or so of "Best Of" shows so that Alex's last original taping will now air in the first week of January instead of on Christmas, where it would be likely to be preempted in many markets.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

That's good to know, and I'm glad that's the case.

Deskgrunt50 likes this.
  4. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Why can’t ‘Jeopardy!’ contestants solve sports clues? | The Star

“Most of the (sports) questions are fairly surface level,” says Sabreena Merchant, a full-time sportswriter in Los Angeles who appeared on “Jeopardy!” this year. “I rarely get the sports categories wrong when I’m watching. But if you don’t follow sports, there’s a huge gap. If you’re at school, you’ll pick up on Shakespeare. But it’s not like you’re going to learn about LeBron James in school.”

5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I like the idea of LaVar Burton. Maybe Jane Lynch ... I think she understands that would be handled much differently than, say, "The Weakest Link."

It would be fun if Dan Patrick would reconsider.

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

He won't. He has said as much many times on his show.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Brent Spiner would be fun, but he's 71.

While we're on the Star Trek kick, John DeLancie (Q) would bring the right air of cool omnipotence ... but he's 72.

From the Abramsverse, Zachary Quinto could follow in Nimoy's footsteps and build up a nice side gig doing commentary for science/ mystery documentaries, but I think he wants to keep his active film career going, and to do Jeopardy full time would chew up a lot of time.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
  8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Great read. Sent that to my family (in a normal Thanksgiving week, we'd have several episodes DVR'd and play for a couple hours a night) and will be curious to see how they do on the quiz.

9. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

It’s a ratings grab because they don’t want to burn his last week at the end of the year

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

A great choice would be Mo Rocca. He’s on Wait, Wait Don’t Tell me and a CBS Sunday Morning correspondent. He also finished second on a Celebrity Jeopardy episode.

11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Yep, not only do they suck at the sports categories, they actively ignore them.

Also, I can't figure out any of the Shakespeare answers so it evens out. It's never Othello.

12. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I could dig Mo Rocca.

Draft saved Draft deleted