1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Alex Trebek/Jeopardy Tribute Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mwilliams685, Mar 6, 2019.

1. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

I haven't watched The Price is Right much in the past decade, but what's the general opinion on Drew Carey as the replacement to Bob Barker?

2. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Steady money, not funny.

DanielSimpsonDay likes this.
  3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Not a fan. But I'd have probably said that about anyone who took Barker's place. Speaking of, someone oughta check in on Bob.

4. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Never have warmed up to Drew. It’s been 10 years and he still seems miscast.

DanielSimpsonDay likes this.
  5. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

He stepped in for part of an episode five years ago. It was sweet.

I Should Coco likes this.
  6. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

Let's cherish these last 35 episodes

wicked likes this.
  7. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

It’s not going to seem like he’s gone until the last episode airs.

8. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

That was a very nice tribute tonight.

wicked and Mngwa like this.
  9. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Christmas. It will really hit when there's a new host.

10. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

If Jeopardy does something like hire Ryan Seacrest, I will puke. That same “must hire star” logic got us Drew Carey.

HanSenSE likes this.
  11. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

One of the things I always remember about great journalists or performers is that one of the few true benefits of this line of work is how your work lives on and people can find it and you after you're gone. There are literally thousands of episodes of this show floating around now and with streaming services and just the general ceaselessness of the Internet, they'll probably be digging them up for 100 years. I'll probably chain-watch some on Netflix for a while tonight. And Alex will never be completely gone.

Fred siegle likes this.
  12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

With a show like Jeopardy, the show has to be the star - something Trebek understood. You want to make witty asides and take time away from contestants answering questions? Nope. I'd go with an NPR journo who can speak and not fumble over words and be pleasant - ask some interesting questions during the player interview portion. That's it. Hell, half of them are in Culver City already.

HanSenSE likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted