1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Alex Trebek/Jeopardy Tribute Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mwilliams685, Mar 6, 2019.

1. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Anderson Cooper. Born on third base. His cable shows are in third place. He’s the TV version of “critically-acclaimed” but his non-60 Minutes work doesn’t pull numbers.

I think it was an SI article in 1989 (Nolan Ryan on the cover, I believe) where the profile of Trebek where it says he would take the show’s test every year and, if he didn’t pass it, he would resign.

Wait. A news anchor gig? I should get it. Except I know I’m not sharp enough to pass the test — perhaps in college, I could have come close — and I would make it all about me. I’ll save the postage for the 3/4” tape. :)

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Just because we're a sports board, sorta.

I Should Coco likes this.
  3. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Connery then Trebek within days. The/rapists everywhere mourn.

SFIND likes this.
  5. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure that Jennings is the one because why else would they bring him into the fold?

6. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Epic Eugene Levy portrayal of Alex Trebel on SCTV:

7. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

I don't think Jennings has the personality for the job, plus I'm sure there's a good segment of the viewing public — my mom, for example — who just don't like him. I think the show demands a veteran with an approximation of Trebek's gravitas, someone who, in a few years, we'll say, Man, I miss Alex, but this *new* person is pretty damn good, too.

And I worked with the man, but I never knew PaulO was on Jeopardy! That might be because he didn't really interact with the rest of the sports staff. He was one of the few writers — Jeff D'Alessio is another — who wrote so tight and clean that it was hard to even trim his stories.

8. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Dan Patrick, who hosted Sports Jeopardy, said he wouldn't be interested.

I recall Trebek put out a list about a year ago and one of his suggestions was LA Kings announcer Alex Faust.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2020
  9. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

The thing that Alex got right was that he was smart without being condescending and he wasn't a circus barker like so many of the game show hosts are. He was attractive, he was personable. He was the perfect host for Jeopardy. I don't know how you replace perfect.

OscarMadison likes this.
  10. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Someone better put Betty White in a protective bubble.

11. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

DP opened his show today with high praise for Trebek and how when he was doing Sports Jeopardy, Alex offered any help that he could.

DP said he was out in L.A. a couple of years ago when he was doing Sports Jeopardy and there was speculation he was being groomed for Alex's job.

He talked about how the two went to dinner and DP told Trebek, "I don't want your job."

To which Alex said, "You're not getting it."

SFIND likes this.
  12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

There will be another host, and maybe even a very good one, but the game is the king. If they mess with it in any way, feeling like it needs a new wrinkle to stay popular post-Trebek, that would be awful. There's a reason why no new game shows survive anymore, they're all circus-barker crap.

Draft saved Draft deleted