1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Alex Trebek/Jeopardy Tribute Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mwilliams685, Mar 6, 2019.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Wizard of Odds
    High Rollers
    Double Dare
    $128,000 Question
    Génies en herbe (and its counterpart, Reach for the Top, where he alternated between French and English)
    Battlestars
    Pitfall
    Classic Concentration
    To Tell The Truth
    Jeopardy

For a short time in 1991 he was hosting the last three at the same time.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I hated breaking the news to my sister, who cried. When we were kids we both tried out for the teen tournament -- back when you had to apply to take a test in a designated city; it wasn't online and easy. So those turned into mini-vacations with our late father, and very memorable. My sister took a test in Houston and Trebek showed up and took pictures with everyone. My Dad and I went to New Orleans, where I was a very wide-eyed teenager on the French Quarter.

3. Tighthead

Tighthead Well-Known Member

4. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Imagine a game-show host who actually made millions of people want to learn more.

To celebrate impeccable knowledge and not project them as nerds or geeks.

For anyone with a high level of knowledge or trivial acumen, I imagine nearly all of them at least consider hunting down the Jeopardy! tryout exam.

That’s a pretty damn good legacy to leave.

5. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

That was terrific.

FileNotFound and OscarMadison like this.
  6. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I have watched Jeopardy since day 1 with Alex and it was the first show that we figured out how to tape on VCR and watch as a family. I have not missed an episode in over 20 years and when they watch with me, my kids have to tell me what they would bet on late Daily Doubles and Final Jeopardy and why.

OscarMadison likes this.
  7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

RIP to, really, the game show GOAT.

Our longtime friend who is no longer in these parts, Birdscribe, had a great post about Trebek on Facebook during his two-day run on the show. Tremendous.

We all knew this day was coming, but god damn ....

Neutral Corner and HanSenSE like this.
  8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

9. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Civil servants. Stamps from Around the World. Mothers and Sons. Beer. Bar Trivia. Celibacy.

Goodness, so awesome.

10. HanSenSE

Was hoping I'd find a clip of the ending, when Trebek just happens to stumbles into Cheers and smooths things over with Cliff. No spoilers here.

MileHigh likes this.
  11. HanSenSE

Two tweets culled from Andrew Baggarly's feed. Baggs, a long-time Giants beat writer for BANG, Comcast and The Athletic, was a three-time Jeopardy champion.

12. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted