1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Alabama State athletics

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, May 7, 2008.

1. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

G'night, Hornets.

2. As The Crow Flies

As The Crow Flies Active Member

The SWAC is where compliance goes to die. Some of that's because of a lack of cash in the athletic departments and some of it's because those schools don't have a clue. It's a bad mix to say the least.

3. BartonK

BartonK Active Member

The football coach was charged with "impermissible contact with the mother of a recruit"? Hey now! Gary Barnett WISHES he thought of that one.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I would say, if you are going strictly by every word in the NCAA rulebook, it is impossible to have a squeaky clean program. You can loan an athlete an umbrella if it is raining, and that could be considered a violation.

5. dog428

dog428 Active Member

For the most part, 90 percent of these violations are just screwups. That's why these programs don't receive the death penalty in most cases -- because the violations that occur are not the result of someone attempting to cheat the system. They're just screwing shit up.

That said, having 40 grade changes doesn't fit that argument.

Although, no coaches are named in that violation, which indicates to me that something else was happening. (Possibly a pay-for-grades deal or just some football-friendly office worker.)

The other 620 violations are just a complete lack of interest in staffing a competent, well-trained compliance department.

The school self-imposed 30 scholarship cuts back four years ago. I don't think that'll be enough. But I also don't think this stretches to death-penalty land, either.

6. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

This proves that Division I is simply too big. There are way too many schools that have no business being at that level. And why not? Because they don't have the money to hire a compliance officer. And if you don't have the resources to operate a Division I athletics department, you shouldn't be a Division I athletics department.

7. dog428

dog428 Active Member

Absolutely correct.

There should be no shame in school's like Alabama State dropping to D2. It takes less money to run the programs, the schools have to hand out fewer scholarships and they have follow fewer rules. Win-win-win.

Draft saved Draft deleted