1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Al Neuharth.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Riptide, Apr 19, 2013.

1. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Allen H. Neuharth, the newspaper visionary and former Gannett chairman who founded USA TODAY, helped create a museum dedicated to news and became one of the industry's most influential and sometimes controversial figures, died Friday at his home in Cocoa Beach, Fla. He was 89.

http://usat.ly/17MgsrC

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

If there's no Snap Shot of him in Monday's USAT, I'll be disappointed. Having been a former Gannettoid, I thought he had a helluva mystique during the 1980s. He took an idea, borrowed a shitload of journalists from Rochester and other Gannett outposts, and created USAT, which kind of foresaw a quick-hit, Internet/Twitter world, not only with the short stories, but with the frequent dumping of raw information. I was a loaner for a few months during USAT's first few years, and those folks up in Rosslyn sure knew how to party. I don't think you can say he helped create great journalism, but he had a pretty good crystal ball. R.I.P.

3. baddecision

baddecision Active Member

When USAT runs a photo of him on the front Monday, they need to make sure the tits are above the fold.

4. dooley_womack1

Ah, you went there. :D I just couldn't pull the trigger.

5. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

He, quite unintentionally, changed my life forever. I will drink a toast to him when I get home.

6. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Forward-thinking to be sure but the short editorials they let him write on Friday's were painfully elementary and outright bad sometimes.

7. dooley_womack1

I know for sure he didn't write the Al-Bus and Al-Jet pieces, and whoever wrote them didn't do him any favors.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I wonder if his obit will jump? I'm guessing they won't go with an infographic, but a black ball for the front would be a nice touch.
    He was a forward thinker in an industry that always seems to be behind the curve. People can knock him, but his efforts to make the news more user-friendly and putting more emphasis on sports and lifestyle and entertainment news, kept a lot of us employed.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The USAT I remember allowed one jump from the cover.

10. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

People can knock him, but his efforts to make the news more user-friendly and putting more emphasis on sports and lifestyle and entertainment news, kept a lot of us employed.... at lousy wages with a corporate zeal toward preventing any efforts to unionize.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

A pioneer in dumbing down journalism, union-busting and eliminating jobs. Woo fucking hoo.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

True that. Figure the Singletons of the world figured if Neuarth could do it, they could do it with even lower wages and higher margins.

Draft saved Draft deleted