1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Al Kaline

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HanSenSE, Apr 6, 2020.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

2. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

3. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Legend has it that Kaline signed with the Tigers during or immediately after a HS game in Baltimore. I suspect the "during" part is false, but it's a great tale nonetheless.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

One time in the late Eighties I was covering a game at Tiger Stadium which featured an old-timers' game.
    It was 96 zillion degrees and steamy and stuffy as hell.
    I watched most of the old-timers' game from the stands, then headed for the elevator to go to the press box. Just as I got in the elevator, Al Kaline got in, still toweling off from the shower and headed for the broadcast booth.
    He shook his head and mopped his brow. "Pretty hot out there," I offered, congratulating myself for my witty observation.
    He rolled his eyes and shook his head. "Man, you're not kidding."
    "Well, you looked pretty good out there." I think he made a couple catches and got a courtesy hit.
    He let out a short chuckle. "Man, it ain't easy."
    But for him, it always was.

Liut likes this.
  5. misterbc

misterbc Well-Known Member

Al Kaline and Harmon Killebrew were my 2 favourite MLB players in the 60s. Was always envious of Detroit having him and Gordie Howe as local stars.

6. Jake from State Farm

Two Kaline stories

I was in the Tigers dugout and Al was talking to Ernie Harwell when he was spotted by a bunch of kids, he signed for a while then sat back down to resume his conversation. Some more kids came down to the dugout and called for him. Al said: “Do I have to go out there AGAIN!!!”
    I thought: Yes you do, you’re Al Kaline
    He took a deep breath, then went and signed more autographs

I was heading to the press box at Joe Louis Arena
    I went by one box and Kaline was standing in front of it, talking with someone
    I had a bunch of Detroit Sunday Journals with me, and I gave one to him, saying: “Hi Al, here’s a Sunday Journal.”
    As I walked past, I heard his friend say, “Gee Al, I never knew you were a union man.”
    He wasn’t

7. matt_garth

matt_garth Well-Known Member

Scott Storbeck, a chef at Comerica Park and at Joker Marchant Stadium in Lakeland, made Kaline breakfast one day last month. Kaline, in typical fashion, was the only one in the dining room.

"When he finished, he came over and asked me, 'Is there anything I can do for you?'" Storbeck said. "I was more than a little taken aback, and not sure what he meant. I said, 'No sir, Mr Kaline, I’m fine. Thank you.' He said, 'Well, how about an autographed ball?' He signed it, put his arm around me and said, 'Thank you for everything you do around here.' He was the best."

'He will always be Mr. Tiger': Al Kaline, who spent 67 years with ballclub, dies at 85

Slacker likes this.
  8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

This may come off kinda dumb, but did Kaline ever do any commercials for alkaline batteries?

If not, some advertising people ought have been fired.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  9. Jake from State Farm

Nope. I always wondered the same thing

Baron Scicluna likes this.
  10. Jake from State Farm

11. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Funny you say that. When I was a kid trading baseball cards, that's all I could of when it came to him, that he's the battery guy. I never saw him play and didn't know anything about him. But his name was spelled just like that word on the side of the AA batteries that ran my remote controlled cars, so he must have something to do with them.

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

His MLB debut preceded the alkaline battery's patent by four years.

Draft saved Draft deleted