1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Ahmet Ertegun

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Dec 14, 2006.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061214/ap_en_mu/obit_ahmet_ertegun_9

:'(

Many of the best memories of my misspent teens and early 20s happened with a soundtrack of Atlantic's greatest hits.

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

RIP. I wonder how accurate Curtis Armstrong's portrayal was in "Ray."

3. shockey

shockey Active Member

i got to know ahmet a bit when i covered the cosmos of nasl fame in the early '80s. warner bros. owned the team. i used to tease ahmet about how he turned down a chance to sign jackson browne when browne sent him a demo tape.
    ertegun threw the tape in a trash can, telling his secretary, "this kid can't play the guitar and he can't sing."

the secretary had alsso heard the tape, though, and gave it to an ertegun underling by the name of david geffen. geffen soon branched out on his own, creating elektra-asylum, and signed browne, who always gave thanks to geffen on his album jackets.

r.i.p., ahmet. he didn't blow many chances to sign talent.

4. He heard Aretha, though, and a couple dozen others.
    RIP.

5. Duane Postum

Duane Postum Member

Man ... doesn't get much bigger than this guy.

6. Duane Postum

Duane Postum Member

Aretha, Otis Redding, Ray Charles, John Coltrane, Wilson Pickett, the Stones, Led Zeppelin, CSN&Y, Drifters, Coasters ... holy shit.

7. Great anecdote about him and the late lamented J Geils Band in the Bill Graham oral history.
    Also, Otis used to call him, "Omelet."

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Damn.

First Fat Joe, now Ahmet.

RIP. Damn damn.

Draft saved Draft deleted