1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP 99X

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by buckweaver, Jan 24, 2008.

1. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

http://www.accessatlanta.com/entertainment/content/entertainment/stories/2008/01/23/99x_0124_web.html

If you spent any considerable time in north Georgia in the last 15 years, this is heartbreaking news. No more Big Day Outs. No more Live Xs. No more dominating Music Midtown stages. An entire era of my childhood is gone. :'(

I still have my old Freeloader card in my wallet, even though I moved away from Atlanta a few years ago.

2. John

John Well-Known Member

Once 96Rock died, all I ever listened to in Atlanta, and Athens, was 99X.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I left Atlanta for college in '92 and never really returned (parents moved away too, so nothing pulled me back). The station of my youth was Z-93, with 96Rock a very close second.

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

It was a sad day when Z-93 went down, too. Loved that station.

What's popped up in its place on 92.9 is Dave.fm, which is probably the most listenable radio station in Atlanta these days.

5. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

One of those over the air stations where one would walk away with a musical education after listening to it for a while.

On a more whimsical and board related note, I believe they were also behind the prank at the Masters with Martha Burk where they got Heywood Jablome printed in a few newspapers around the south.

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

They were a supporter of Butch Walker, so they are A-OK by me.

7. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

in the Seventies there was a 99X in New York, which was top 40, I guess. I switched to WNEW for AOR.

8. StormSurge

StormSurge Active Member

I thought another wrestler died.

9. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

You know, I never forgave them for that. ;)

But you're right -- they never stopped supporting him. He was ALWAYS on a local stage at their festivals over the years. (Of course, I tried to conveniently time my beer runs during that hour. ;D)

10. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I was a 96 rock man in my youth, fwiw, which admittedly is not much. My son now listens to Project 961, which occupies 96 rock's old place on the dial, and this makes me feel old, which I suppose I am. As for 99x, when Music Midtown died a couple years ago, the station's days were numbered.

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I expect nothing else from Rich Rodriguez supporters!

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Lemme guess from the rave reviews.

99X was NOT owned by Clear Channel.

Draft saved Draft deleted