1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP 72 Marietta Street

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by dixiehack, Aug 17, 2009.

1. Shifty Squid

Shifty Squid Member

"You only cover us when you're bolting from the city you're supposed to cover to save money after untold numbers of layoffs and need suburban school teams to sink your measly bits of leftover cash into, all while alienating the people who live in the city where you used to be located!!!!!!!!!"

2. Drip

Drip Active Member

[/quote]
    .[/i]

[​IMG]
    [/quote]
    How much more can the AJC take and still call itself a newspaper?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. Babs

Babs Member

There have been lots of changes for the worse that AJC readers might not have taken note of.

This move might not actually change things for the worse, but it just looks...horrible.

Unless they are going to sell the land for a mint or were in imminent danger of shutting down, this is a bad move. Literally.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Really is. And their spin on how it's not as bad for downtown as if it had been done a few years back is pathetic.

5. Shifty Squid

Shifty Squid Member

This.

And it just keeps getting sadder in Atlanta.

6. bigbadeagle

bigbadeagle Member

Perimeter Mall Journal-Constitution.
    Jesus, try fitting that into a masthead.
    Since they're going out that way, do they change the motto to "Covers Dixie Like the Asphalt"?

7. Desk_dude

Desk_dude Member

I bought a copy of the paper at the airport on Monday. It was only 32 pages. No business section, and the other sections were tiny, including sports.

The PGA was covered by AP.

Yet, the company's smaller paper, the Palm Beach Post, was 50 pages and had a writer at the golf. The paper didn't even bother to run their sister paper's stuff.

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

Why should it run the sister paper's awful copy?

9. I went on the Palm Beach Post's Web site and read some of Dave George's stories filed from the PGA, and they were far superior to the bland AP copy we had to run. Plus the Central time zone locale pushed much of the wire copy late into the evening.

I wouldn't run a sister paper's copy automatically. But I thought the stuff was good. Maybe the AJC was just too embarrassed to run another newspaper's copy.

10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Either that, or they dropped Cox News Service wire as a cost-cutting move ...

11. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

New motto: "Covering a Teeny Part of Dixie, Somewhere Near Dunwoody, Like a Children's Water Sprinkler"

12. Drip

Drip Active Member

Maybe I needed to use the blue font. It was a touch of sarcasm. Mr. Tepps. Nearly everyone knows that your golf writer and columnist is good people. Chill out. No one was slighting him or your staff.

Draft saved Draft deleted